Author Topic: SSL 4000 Total Recall Errors  (Read 4007 times)

Frank Cross

SSL 4000 Total Recall Errors
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:35 AM »
I had a studio computer begin to overlap graphics when you bring up a recall. The recall screen is 4 bars, but in my case the computer would show the 1st and 3rd row and then overlap the 2nd on top of the first and the 4th over the 3rd. The issue was on all channels and a power cycle didn't work.

The next day the studio computer would no longer run anything TR related. I've narrowed down the issue to the eeproms on the TR pcb. They are old TMS 2716's which won't read anymore. I have new replacement eeproms or flash roms in hand but no code.

Does anyone have a good read of the 3 eeproms on the TR pcb?

Thanks

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Re: SSL 4000 Total Recall Errors
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
We've asked for that a couple of months ago but until now no luck on that dump. :/

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
    • Frostbox Recording Studio
PROM, EEPROM, software versions etc...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »
Hi Beautiful SSL people!

We have a similar issue with a total recall graphics error. It only appears on mono channel view and not in stereo or large view (pressing the Large/Small button). For picture  and further description please se post: http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php/topic,676.msg4554.html#msg4554

KoleThomsen the author of that post and I are 2 out of a total of 3 partners in our studio Frostbox in Copenhagen with an 1994 SSL 4064G+ 56 mono, 8 stereo channels, 4 patchable VCAs and Ultimation Faders. We run software version: U3.01 fra 1995. Total Recall is v 4.2a and Total Recall EPROM v 2.0f (see !TES > T > C and it writes the EEPROM version on your color screen). Are these the latest and greatest software? 

We tried switching a lot of the Ram bloks around without any changes to the system or graphics.

As this could be related to the PROMs in the RML TR computer I have decided to take all  PROM and EEPROMs out of our G+ computer and read them for future backup before worse stuff happen. I would of cause share the hex dump with anybody interested. And maybe if someone like pascal.verdet could have a look at the hex dump and see if the graphic error has anything to do with the PROMs or if it is a RAM issue. Or maybe if possible he could share his method for disassemble the 82e356 eprom code I saw in another post and I can have a go at it for these PROMs?

Hopefully the dumps will be done during next week. Here is a list of the PROMs and EEPROMs in our computer in ref to the service manuals:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-B_PnJMOTl3CtNUYB6gJtGlKF2O1CqHRssWrWaXeft0/edit?usp=sharing

Did I forget any? Are there any microcontroller with in built flash I should backup as well?

Also if people have experience with alternatives for replacing these ancient ROMS or experience with common/inexpensive usb readers i would be very much appreciated!

Please comment in the document any stuff you know about this subject! I will then write it in.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Uffe, Frostbox Copenhagen

pascal.verdet

• Nantes - FR
    • Workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
Hi,

If I can help you , please let me know.
For information, I think still have some 4116 ram.

Cheers,
Pascal

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
Hi ULH,

If you need I have a 82e356 rom backup also (although this is not related with the TR card, where your problem might reside).

I would love to get all ROM backups you take, since for our project in-hands we've been doing a documentation/software vault. Any additions are always welcome.

You shouldn't have any problems reading the ROMs, just make sure you have the proper reader.

For disassembling I would advise you to use a software such as IDA Pro which will allow you to look at the disassembled code.

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 12:23:08 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »
Anyone got schematics for the 82e298 RML HRG graphics pcb part of the TR pcb sandwhich? Can't find it in the pdf or my own printed computer service manual. Maybe RML wanted to keep it secret?

Did find a tiny bit of info here: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/doc.asp?c=812&st=1

Edit: Googled a bit longer and properly found it as part of the RML 480Z service manual pdf page 85/87/89: http://vt100.net/rm/docs/pn13821b.pdf
Have to check if it fits with the 82e298 ssl pcb... Update: It is not the same schematic but there are many similarities in the basic design i.e. our HRG pcb seems to be a special or mark2 edition of the pcb.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:49:15 AM by ULH »

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Hi

I have now backed up all eprom, prom and PAL/PLDs in our SSL G computer except the ones on the 4/100 processor board. I might do these at a later time but since we don't have schematics for this and the 2MB ram pcb it seems that if we get a fault on these boards it will be very tricky to service anyway.

Does anybody have these Computer Automation Inc 4/100 and 2MB Cache schematics?

I got all the .bin and .jed files for all eprom, prom and PALs on 82e356, TR sandwich, normal graphics card/vdu and 82E200 Video distribution. Total of 21 ICs. For details see this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-B_PnJMOTl3CtNUYB6gJtGlKF2O1CqHRssWrWaXeft0/edit?usp=sharing

Regarding the 3 pcs TMS2716 on the TR CPU pcb: Very few programmers can actually work with these because they need -5v, +5v and +12v just to read them. This and the A10 pin is different from normal 2716 eprom. I managed to read them with a cheap TL866cs by adding the -5v and +12v with pus and batteries and swapping the A10 pin with the right one. This was using the TMS2716 preset in the TL866cs software. This preset is wrong and is just a normal 2716 preset as I understand it and therefor i needed to do these mods in order to read them.

Is there a good public way to share the eprom codes without ownership/rights issues?

Cheers,

Uffe

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:37:59 PM by ULH »

Frank Cross

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »
It's great news that someone has been able to dump the TR code. I spent a long time working on those old TMS chips and the best I could get was half the code. I was going to test the 28/29 class flash roms in place of those old chips. Maybe make a small PCB to plug in to replace all 3 chips.

:)

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »
Hi Uffe,

I am interesting in those ROMs for our documentation/software/firmware vault. If you can send them to me with the information on each one I'd be appreciated. THank you. Good job!! \m/

Artur

ULH

• Copenhagen Denmark
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:11:08 AM »
Hi Arthur

PM me your email adr and I'll email the files to you. Whats in the vault? Is it public?

Cheers,
Uffe

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »
PM sent! :D