Author Topic: G computer won't load, or it is loading but I can't see it on screen **SOLVED**  (Read 2366 times)

seedubs

My apologies for tying up the bandwidth of the forum but new consoles... new issues. As the post describes our new to us 4056 tr ultimation G comp  has decided to stop booting. It seems that the g+ drives are loading the program but the screen shows no evidence of this. I still get the same chirps when I enter the commands I have managed to learn but again, nothing displayed on the screen. It didn't work at all fir the first few days then with some fettling I was able to get it to load and act normal. Then every time I would stray in tone tr side of the program it would stop responding to the commands I was having luck with earlier. Restart , no problem for the first couple but now it is back to its old ways. I also suspect it has older E software (3.1) as a lot of the commands  I read in the g computer software come back with "not defined or not available in this version" any ideas guys? Most appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:25:18 PM by Matt Sartori »

jwhmca

What are you sing for a CRT monitor? Is it possible the CRT isn't working?
"It's all about being a servant."

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
+1 on checking the display monitor first from you description. Plug something in a the computer and see if it shows up there.

Then you can check the version of your software, shows as it loads or you can call it up with a command which I am not sure about the exact syntax off the top of my head.

I seem to recall that Ultimation is 4.01 at the latest, could some one else verify??

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
I confirm G4.01 is the latest for Ultimation consoles and U3.01 is for VCA consoles (IIRC). If someone needs it let me know, I have a software image for both versions.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:09:25 AM by Artur D'Assumpção »

seedubs

So if we are running 3.10 on a ultimation g comp will all the features work or should we shoot for the latest. It sort of works but the patchable vca's show up on channels 25-32 . If 3.10 is for VCA automation I'm surprised it works at all in this desk. Is there a configuration setting we could use to re allocate the faders so they show up in the right places on the bar graph screen? Thanks again guys.

mahavishnu

Every VCA desk I know is running 4.01
The program has to be set up for the individual desk, if you load a version that is not all sorts of things will be wrong... just enter the password protected area and configure it.
The green screens die all the time, do you have a RGB monitor hooked up?

seedubs

We have a convertor for the CRT that seems to be working. Once we got it to boot we have not turned it off since and so far so good. It just when we have to restart the comp that we have trouble.
Got a copy of the G 4.01 and will endeavor to install it and figure out our configuration issues once it runs. Just to be clear this system is ultimation, not VCA if that makes a difference relating to which software we should be shooting for. Thanks again and we will report our results.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
Yes, it makes a difference between Ultimation and VCA software.

4.01 is the last version for Ultimation, it should say Ultimation on the splash screen when it loads.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

brewery

• The Brewery
it's the other way around - 4.01 is the latest vca software version, and U3.1 for ultimation.

so this might very well be a wrong software issue.

another thing to make sure is that all setup menus (also the hidden ones) show the right specs - what kind of processor etc.

seedubs

I wonder if that is what the "U" is in the U3.01 program stands for? Anyone else want to throw their two cents in to the hat regarding what version of software would be ideal to run on a 4056G TR w/ Ultimation?
 We were able to get into the setup menus and reconfigure the desk but when the bar window shows up it is not as we configured it prior. Is there a need to config both ? i.e. the setup windows as well as the bar window.  Getting close but i bet we will learn more if we can download the computer service manual and start from the top. Will a G+ be close enough to our G? Thanks as always...

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
The version IS the one I sent you a couple of days ago. Use that one, no need to delve on the version topic again. EDIT: see my post below this one

You must follow the configuration procedure on the Computer Service Manual. That will lead you to at least 2 menus, the main overall console configuration (the one I suspect you might have been) and the object configuration (which associate software objects into each channel strip in the correct order of appearance in the hardware). The graph bar configuration is aesthetics mostly and will follow the object configuration. So if the latter is wrong, also the graph bar will be. If you don't follow these steps the console software won't work properly and you'll experience issues such as out of order software channels vs hardware channels, or TR not loading into certain channels. 

In the email I sent you, I attached a photo of the object configuration in my console (see below). You have to follow a procedure to set these, since you have to associate each channel to an object in a particular order.

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:25:07 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Chris,

Looking back at the email I sent you I noticed I did a big mistake. Mea culpa for that. Somehow down the line I made the mistake thinking you had a VCA console (don't ask me why) and sent you the wrong version. I now send you the last version for the Ultimation consoles which is the U3.01 (the G4.01 is for G consoles with VCA system).

Perhaps this made the whole confusion and the problems you were finding.

Sorry for this, I am sure you'll get sorted it out with this issue out of the way! :D

Cheers,

Artur
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:25:50 PM by Artur D'Assumpção »

seedubs

Thanks Artur! We were able to configure the software and at this point seem to have everything showing up and tracking. Now it is a matter of getting all the faders cleaned and ready for action. Most of them work but there is some work to be done to the rest. Thanks guys!

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
Awesome great! Glad I could help!

If you need guidance on how to properly clean those ultimation faders check this video I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dGTAPHiBI

Good luck!

Cheers,

Artur