Author Topic: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE  (Read 53480 times)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Re: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:01 AM »
I'm not a tech, and not an owner of the S1. It all looks done 100% correctly, including the website and marketing.

As someone who is servicing his own console, I'd love to know more about the technical details of both the SSL PSUs and the S1. PSUs are still a big mystery for many on the forum, and so was the SSL Mix Computer, but we're about to get that sorted out at the moment.

Would love to hear some feedback from owners/users of the S1 other than the owners of the company.

A lot of hype here and on the website.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been up on the market for the last 2 years for an SSL console. I've finally bought the one I wanted after a long long search and I've been deeply involved with the SSL Market in the process. From my personal experience what I can tell you is that since around the last year the SSL consoles, primarily 4000/6000 and 8000 are going crazy up.

The problem as I see it is that sellers know the value and the demand for theses consoles and their asking bid is getting up. On other-way around, brokers and techs that make a living off of refurbishing/reselling theses consoles are starting to have a hard time because they can't sell it much higher than they already did. So margins are getting squeezed. But also the market for these consoles is expanding and the offer is lower than the demand.

The demand as been going up because prices have reached a point where it pays of to buy these beautiful consoles than the recent ones. These have been going out of major studios into smaller/production studios/homestudios. Also the hype on mordern console design is getting cooler... it's not all advantages, the sound and functionality/flexibility is a big tradeoff as I see it.

That's why you've seen a huge flow of Asian consoles into the European/US market. It's much cheaper to get them from there than from the Occident, where selling values are getting higher.

The same is not happening with more recent consoles, such as the 9000's. I think this might have to do with the higher electricity requirements and also expensive and harder/complex maintenance. Who's on market for these consoles usually does his homework and knows all the burdens that come with it.

Regarding a Automation/Total Recall computer replacement, stay sharp to the SSLMixed Computer project. We'll soon show a working prototype that we've been working for the last couple of months. Actually I am very thrilled with this! ;)

Cheers,

Artur

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:18:34 AM by Artur D'Assumpção »

xmax

« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »
"CLEANER BASS, CLEANER MIDS, THE BASS SOUNDS WAY BETTER, MORE EXTENDED AND EVEN."
- STEVE KING
http://HTTP://TAPEOP.COM/ARTICLES/84/STEVE-KING/

“SOUNDS KILLER! MORE EXTENSION. MID CHARACTER AND DEFINITION IS WAY BETTER. MORE LOW END. BETTER TRANSIENT RESPONSE. AT THE MOMENT I HAVE NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS TO SAY.”
- JOEL HAMILTON
http://HTTP://TAPEOP.COM/INTERVIEWS/85/JOEL-HAMILTON-BONUS/

“ANYONE WITH EARS WILL HEAR THE DIFFERENCE- IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER- CAN I HAVE THIS BACK WHEN I PRINT THE FINAL MIXES ON THE MICHAEL MCDONALD ALBUM?”
- SHANNON FORREST
http://HTTP://WWW.INNOVATIVEPERCUSSION.COM/ARTISTS/SHANNON_FORREST

Many, many more to come. ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:25:29 PM by xmax »

radardoug

« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
Hey Xmax, none of those links work. Are these real quotes?

radardoug

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
Here's what they are saying about our new power supply.

'More bass, more middle, more tops! Everything sounds way smoother, especially after a couple of beers!'
 ;D

xmax

« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »
You are correct the links are not working for some reason? If you go to: http://www.atomicinstrument.com/about/, They are working just fine.   ;)

flog

• reeltime audio
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »
^ Some beta testers.
Like to hear from real customers.
worth it?

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
its fairly obvious why the links won't work, too many http://  's!!

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

xmax

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2014, 06:47:22 PM »
Steve King works at 54 sound, 54 sound was one of our first customers, after 30 days
they bought 2 more S1's, We are in the process getting Joel and Shannon S1's.
Bob Clearmountain is now the owner of a S2, Give him a call. Please, this forum
is only about helping each other with our SSL's, If you have nothing better to do
than post negative comments, please head over to gearslutz, we are too busy! N

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »
You are aware that its only been available for something like 1-2 months in final form??

How many "users" do you think there are at this time?

if you are serious about wanting to purchase this may I suggest you read this:

Return Policy: If you are not satisfied with our product, returns may be made within 30 days of purchase. Buyer pays shipping and handlng. Warranty sticker must still be intact.

Then you can write up your response to it and we'll have an outside evaluation.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

makeitwork

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »
thanks for the voice of reason, Alan. nice to see you here, btw. my WB-modded BL40 is still going strong!

-reid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
that's WBA please!!

BL-40, one of the most unknown devices out there. Did I make yours with the opto side chain level adjustable? So it becomes a "true" LA3A when in "bypass"? If not, talk to me about getting that changed. Its been a while.

Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

makeitwork

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
WBA!!!!  lol sorry.

no, it doesn't have that mod. it sounds so good, though, that i'd hate to change anything. maybe if it ever dies, i'll send it back for an upgrade.

hope you're well in all other things, Alan.

-Reid

xmax

« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »
"All 3 of us in the room could tell right away, wider soundstage and deeper more extended bass.
We will be ordering a second unit ASAP for our other room." Rick Barnes, Rax Traxs, Chicago.

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2014, 08:02:38 AM »
You're killing me Norman!!  :P

PS: Somebody wants to buy 2x original G-Series Power Supplies + Changeover Units in great condition, all regulators recapped?

"All 3 of us in the room could tell right away, wider soundstage and deeper more extended bass.
We will be ordering a second unit ASAP for our other room." Rick Barnes, Rax Traxs, Chicago.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com