Tech discussion > 5K Series console

Automation System for a 5K

(1/19) > >>

Bubbes:
Hello everybody,

my name is Jens, i`m new here and i`m am looking for a automation system for my 5000 console
i`ve already have a SL590 total recall computer as well and want now "upgrade" my studio setup

I heard that the 5K uses the same computer for automation as the 4K G or G+
But maybe that THD-Labs system would do that job as well..

any thoughts ??

Cheers... Jens

PelleG:
From what I've learned the pin out and fader control is a bit different on the 5K.

I could be wrong. If the original 4K computer works then the THD will as well since they're compatible.

..and, our system will work also.
automanefforts.com

Artur D'Assumpção:
There are different things... the CUTS are controlled differently. On the original computer you have individual CUT connectors, these are for the 5k automation.

If the I/O cards are the same, I suppose nothing else changes, but if they change for a 5k configuration then the I/O will also change.

Bubbes:
Hey, first of all thanks for the answer !

this is whats in my SL536, i don't know if i would need different cards  or whatever
there are no ribbon connectors or so, thats why im so cuffed at the moment...

I don't have any ribbon cable at all
i don't know if it`s worth it at the end :)

Cheers... Jens

Artur D'Assumpção:
Well, I am not acquainted with the 5k architecture, from what I understand it's a different beast when compared with the 4/6/8K consoles, despite SSL used the same computer for the automation.

What I know, from taking a glance at it while doing the R&D for the SSL Mixed Computer, is that the interface with the legacy computer was the S14 cable (50 way ribbon) + an extra CUTs cable. So it seems to be 2 cables per channel bay (8 faders for the 5k?). While on the 4/6/8K everything goes on a S14 cable per bay (8 channels).

This leads me to suspect (and this is only speculation) that perhaps either they put more faders into each S14 cable, or each fader needed more control lines (and that's why they had to separate the CUTs, and I suspect even what they call CUTS, might have more information there because it's a 20-way ribbon). If this is true... i also suspect the I/O cards necessary for the 5k might also be different, although the CPU main card is the same.

Do you have a service manual for the console? 

EDIT: I was looking into the computer service manual and it's common to the 5000 console. You should study this manual to learn the differences and requirements for the automation/mixing computer.

Artur

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version