Author Topic: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE  (Read 53158 times)

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
Re: 4K,6K,8K Switch Mode PSU UPGRADE
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
Emailed my tech (Who is currently in the UK) about the new PSU, this is what he said..

"Reliability is the key with switched mode
supplies and obviously the initial cost. Do you have any more links for some more information. There will
also be the inevitable the old ones sound better than the new ones !!  Second and third stage filtering
of the DC will also be critical as the channels in the board having been designed with linear supplies in mind
and all the high frequency artefacts from the switched mode DC will have to be completely filtered out.
Instantaneous current delivery is the next issue since if it below spec, users will complain about the bottom end
being different. Great idea though if properly designed and implemented."

Stef.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
Mattia told me: SSL went Switch mode with the 9K and added a 6U (or about that) filter unit for the supply, huge smoothing Caps, and the like to filter the artefacts.

Having run a bucket Switchmode, using an existing Allen&Heath console supply, (used for Front of House 40CH with VCA groups) with a 6V logic supply hanging backwards, it sounded good, the supply still had good smoothing Caps, and was design with audio in mind.

Power supplies have improved, and this supply uses standard off the shelf modules, that were almost certainly not designed for audio, good or bad the proof is in the listening.

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
I think there's no doubt is switched mode PSU's usable in audio applications. Let's think about Lab Gruppen power amps for example. Huge amounts of current flowing through them.

One more question popped in my mind:
What kind of protection circuits new PSU has?

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

xmax

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
The units have a tuned common mode filter and over 100,000uf capacitor bank right at the output.
Noise was lower with our supply compared to the old SSL unit out to 300Khz and ours has twice the
output current capability, about 70 amps total continuous (140 in the larger unit) We also filter the
A.C. "input"  8)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:15:58 PM by xmax »

xmax

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 09:14:45 PM »
Our S.M. SSL power supply has over voltage, over current, over heat protection,
as well as all voltage rails are fused according to your channel count, a main A.C.
fuse and thermistor soft start.  ;)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Switch mode PSU Beta testing
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
Hi Xmax. Thanks for the various updates on your switch mode power supply. Along with the Dramastic computer development, there seems to be long awaited upgrade products for various SSL replacements potentially available.

I wonder if any Beta sample products could be evalulated by experienced techs outside of the US so they could report back to this forum to provide customer and supplier feedback. Perhaps it could be done on a loan basis or reduced cost so they can give their opinions. I'm sure it would be worth your while.

This forum was started by Mattia Sartori (Mata Haze) who normally resides in Italy and often visits the UK. Andy Henderson (Sintech, an SSL user who has built his own console from spare parts) is also an experienced tech and engineer.

I have no interest in this as I just wire things but various people on this site are very interested so please bear this in mind and contact these guys direct. If your product works and these guys like it, they will recommend it on this forum to other members and viewers.

xmax

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:40 AM »
The prototype is currently being tested in Nashville by various well known engineers on several
desks these results will be available in the next couple of weeks, as far as "outside the US"
no one has contacted me about beta testing. thanks. N
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:06:34 AM by xmax »

xmax

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
Ok, I have made arrangements to send the first "production" supply to Mattia Sartori
around the end of the month. To correct a earlier post our supply modules are
not off the shelf units they are being custom made for us, the enclosure aslo contains
our high current filters that we make in-house as well as additional over voltage and over
current protection. People must remember the SSL supply was designed over 30 years
ago with additional "protection" added in the 80's. Technology has come a long way since then!
I have rebuilt many, many of them and know them well, my back hurts just thinking about
them! :o and If any of you techies out there are wondering if our logic rail is hanging of
the +18 rail, it is exactly as the original and our logic volt meter measures the difference
for ease of calibration. thanks for all the intrest! N
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:00:00 PM by xmax »

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
I REALLY hope this works out.

You could've sent it here Norman. :) I have sessions all through March and April.

S

xmax

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 01:01:14 AM »
It has already proven itself in the field, just not with a lot of studios because the production units are not shipping yet. N
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:26:25 PM by xmax »

radardoug

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
Hi,
    Very interested in this power supply. Can you advise on where/how to buy?
Price?

radardoug

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
Bump???

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »
It's all covered in this thread allready. xmax is the person and price is around 3000usd.

-Paavo

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

xmax

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
Link does not work. I'm getting "content not available" kinda notice.

-Paavo

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook