Author Topic: Integrating unbalanced gear & ssl 4k g series problem  (Read 2140 times)

beliefsystemrecs

Integrating unbalanced gear & ssl 4k g series problem
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »
Hello there

Im having alot of trouble integrating unbalanced gear into my system without signal loss. I have 2 different issues

1. Alesis Midiverb 4. I only get good signal if i plug the balanced cable half way into the Midiverb's jack.
2. Roland SRV 2000, Roland DEP-5, Strymon Big Sky &  Timeline. Always get really low output from these modules. I get perfectly fine signal if i plug them directly to my Motu 16A Soundcard however.

Any ideas how i can remedy this?

brewery

• The Brewery
Re: Integrating unbalanced gear & ssl 4k g series problem
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »
this paper is your friend:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

it all also depends a bit on your general grounding scheme. i prefer to have the grounds floating on the outboard side, which would mean  that you need to connect the cold signal to the sleeve of the jack, and leave the shield unconnected.

the main thing is that cold (or ring/pin 3) is connected to ground.

xmax

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »
Have you tried using unbalanced 1/4" male to the other side with - shorted to gnd
(pin 1 to 3 on a xlr)? The goal is to have neg (cold) shorted to ground (0v) on the ssl
input.

Clip6

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Inserts are unbalanced. Yea Timeline wants to see unbalanced from console. Strymon not hot output say like a lex 42.

beliefsystemrecs

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
this paper is your friend:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

it all also depends a bit on your general grounding scheme. i prefer to have the grounds floating on the outboard side, which would mean  that you need to connect the cold signal to the sleeve of the jack, and leave the shield unconnected.

the main thing is that cold (or ring/pin 3) is connected to ground.

great stuff thanks!

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
Yes, I basically agree with Brewery on this.

The SSL can signal ground everything else in the studio (mics, outboard, tape machines etc) that goes via the patchbay as its grounding system caters for this.
Each DL plugged into the SSL should be wired with the screen included. The balanced circuit then goes to/from the patchbay and, as the signal screen is connected there, it becomes part of the console signal grounding. Notice the metal patchbay front panels which are bolted to the console frame. This means that the signal ground of the jacks are directly connected to the patchbay front and hence the frame.
A green wire from each patchbay also goes to one of the copper bars running along the console. The other bar is for the power grounds and they both come together right at the end under the patchbay and terminate in a 0BA (M6) brass bolt.
From there, you should have a big 50/0.25 ground wire going to the computer but, if you don't have this, the console ground terminal should be your main studio signal ground (technical earth), going straight to your fuse box area before going to a ground stake or something else.

This is a complex subject and I have only addressed it in basic terms but hope this is helpful.

Signal grounding and power earthing get further complicated when you have a remote patchbay and unbalanced gear in it sharing the same metal 19" rack strip but I won't go there now as it gets even more complicated (big time)!