XK-System (community project) > Hardware Development

Computer scalability - Max channel count

(1/2) > >>

Artur D'Assumpção:
Hi guys,

Steve (retrocores) and I have been digging into the SSL computer and console documentation and getting some very good developments that we'll share soon on the forum. In the meanwhile we've been dwelling into the design and architecture for the new computer. The conclusion is that the best is for this computer to be modular and expandable to user needs/configuration. Ex: one card per each bay (8 channels), also extra cards for the center section (group channels, main fader, 6K groups A,B & C and Patchable VCAs) and other features are also considered here.

One question appeared while we were discussing this and I think you guys more experiment could help us finding the optimal value. What should be the maximum channels the computer should support?

I know that there were a couple of consoles that had 112 channels, but I ask myself if a console these sizes are even realistic these days? Maybe a 96 would be a more realistic size? Maybe not?

Please let us know your opinion, since this is important to set the maximum size in terms of hardware design.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Artur 

Matt Sartori:
I think the likely of seeing a console of 112 channels is next to ZERO.
the biggest 4K I have ever seen are 72 channels and I think they are not going to stay that size for a long time...

average size now days is probably around 48 so from 16 to 64 so modular in groups of 8 is the key to allow people to start with a basic system and then add as they go along and they have budget.

I would say max 72...

Artur D'Assumpção:
Mattia,

I am also inclined to a max count between 72-96 channels.

I think the average user will have between 24-56 channels, at least that's what I see the most common out there.  My console before decommissioning had 72 channels.

I think if we aim to 72 (9 bays) we should catch 90% of the SSL owners nowadays. This way we save real state on the PCB main board and case. Anyway, I think we should design the hardware to accommodate easily if needed an extension up to 96 (11 bays) if we see that we need to to increase the real state to allow more expansion cards. 

Comments are welcome guys!

Cheers,

Artur

pascal.verdet:
Hi Arthur,

At my point of vue, I think that 96, it's maximum channel for "normal" studio.

Cheers,
Pascal

marcmozart:
I personally know about a 96Ch. G in Sydney, Australia. It's the biggest that I have seen these days.

This would require 13 x 8 Ch. VCA-Cards (without patchable VCAs).

The big studios that have a 4K-room sometimes have 72 or 80 channels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version