Author Topic: 4000 Series Power / Ground schematic  (Read 4124 times)

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
4000 Series Power / Ground schematic
« on: December 17, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
here is the link to a really beautiful diagram for the above.
thank you very much Jim for doing this!

https://payhip.com/b/X3Iv

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
4K Power / Ground schematic explanation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:50:07 PM »
I'll explain a few more details about the SSL 4K power and ground wiring mentioned above by Mattia should you wish to purchase it.

This schematic should be good for people wishing to build their own SSL console plus others who already own one but need to see the console power and grounding system for fault finding purposes.

The drawing is a PDF showing the cable colours and directions of travel which should clearly show you how the whole wiring scheme works. This does not cover the power supply, just the wiring from it into the console and what it does from there. The schematic shows the following:

Power wiring

1   The 19 way Bicc power wiring from the PSU to the console showing all 15 wires used including Bargraphs. This also shows the relationship between them.
2   The cable functions, colours and sizes as originally used by SSL. Notice that some of the colours changed within the console!
3   Console internal wiring through the breakers, 4 pole switch and on to the B3 6 way Bicc connector on the upper buscards including pinouts. I am still working on the 651 MRAC and 621 Producer Panel 24 way Bicc power/ground pinouts in more detail.

Ground wiring

4   Power supply chassis earthing verses technical grounding and the linking between them (very important!).
5   Internal console mix and PSU bus grounding to the copper bars and end block 0BA terminal.
6   Frame and patchbay technical grounding.
7   Buscards, 651 and 651 25 way ribbon screens.
8   How all the console grounding joins together and where (important).

Most of this is based on memory (my 7 years at SSL from 1980), looking at my own documentation over 30 years and talking to other techs such as Andy (Sintech) and George Gilbert etc.

It should be very accurate but, I would welcome your feedback with any differences that you may have seen with your own console spec. You probably have a console but I don't so, give me some up to date feedback with any differences you see!

I am working on a more detailed version of all the patchbay screen wiring. Perhaps AC earthing and technical grounding should become a separate subject as it is very important to get right especially with smaller consoles now being increasingly used within a home environment.   

Hope all this stuff helps. The original SSL documentation in your manual does not show all this information but now, you can get it on one page!

Regards from Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Also on FACEBOOK
PS: Does anyone require any 96 way DL connectors and crimps as I have just had another batch delivered?

Here is a small sample of the power/grounding schematic so you can see what some of it looks like.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:12:02 PM by jimlfixit »