Author Topic: Audio signal through the speaker even w/faders at 0 (inc. master fader) - SOLVED  (Read 1503 times)

Franz

Hello everyone! Since yesterday a strange thing happened. in "Rec" + "VCA to mon" mode (the same thing happens in "MIX" mode) the audio comes out even without raising any fader. Also if I close the master fader the audio continues to be heard. Where can I hit my head? Thank you all very much!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:25:14 AM by Franz »

radardoug2

• New Zealand
Computer turned off and not in bypass? No jumper plugs fitted? You can hit your head anywhere, but it wont solve your problem.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Hi Franz, Are you using the computer? Can you bypass it directly with jumpers at the console?

I suspect your VCA voltages may be the issue.

Anthony.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Ha, you got in less than a minute before me!

radardoug2

• New Zealand
Ya gotta be quick! How you going Anthony?

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: Computer bypass info
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 12:08:03 AM »
Hi people.
With or without a computer you can bypass it with a 50 way ribbon connector wired with just a 10 way ribbon, a few inches long (4-6" or 100-150mm). 1-10 links back to 11-20 I think (based on memory!) 1 goes to 11, 2 to 12, 3 to 13 etc. Just crimp 1-10 to 11-20. Put the free socket into a vice with the 10 way ribbon and gently close it to do the job.
SSL supplied a 1u computer bypass unit fitted with a few 8 circuit relays for broadcasters in case their computer broke down, mid session and with a live stream or broadcast.

Check out the S14E 50 way pinout to confirm this.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (wiring moderator on here ... jimlfixit!).

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
Ya gotta be quick! How you going Anthony?

Going well sir. Might post an update tonight on all the projects I've been working on. It has been quite a bit!

Anthony.

Franz

Hi everyone. I have the THD Tangerine system. Everything is set up as usual. This thing happened overnight. I am going to try disconnecting the Tangerine and putting the jumpers back on. Thank you all for the responses, you are wonderful!

Pinebox

Re: Computer bypass info
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 09:50:41 PM »
Hi people.
With or without a computer you can bypass it with a 50 way ribbon connector wired with just a 10 way ribbon, a few inches long (4-6" or 100-150mm). 1-10 links back to 11-20 I think (based on memory!) 1 goes to 11, 2 to 12, 3 to 13 etc. Just crimp 1-10 to 11-20. Put the free socket into a vice with the 10 way ribbon and gently close it to do the job.
SSL supplied a 1u computer bypass unit fitted with a few 8 circuit relays for broadcasters in case their computer broke down, mid session and with a live stream or broadcast.

Check out the S14E 50 way pinout to confirm this.

Hope this helps from Jim Lassen (wiring moderator on here ... jimlfixit!).

Happen to have one in front of me for a photo. Very good to have around for troubleshooting!

Franz

Of course luckily it worked with the jumpers but the fact remains that it happened suddenly with the THD perfectly set and connected. I really hope this is not a serious problem with the THD. Thank you all guys!