Author Topic: What multicables do you use?  (Read 4585 times)

Showcase

• Dreamix
What multicables do you use?
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
As the topic says! :)

Im looking into buying some more multicable, but having a hard time finding 32 par.

What brands are you using, I have never really bothered about this before really but could be fun if anyone knows if there is/was a standard brand when installing SSL consoles

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: What multicables do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »
Jim has 32 pair SSL cable, it's awesome cable, and I'm sure he would do you a good deal. He's away till Wednesday tho.

http://www.profcon.co.uk/page5.htm

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
That is awesome! Thanks!

Meanwhile, I see he has price for Multicore looms with DL96 connector wired to one end at the bottom of the page, cant understand the pricing though, is the price for the wiring work you think?
...or for both the cable and connector?

/ Mattias

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:31:51 PM by Showcase »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
Think they're prewired connectors, with a fixed length, so you're not paying for labour, but the wire and connector.

Jim has all the bit's, and his custom work is amazing.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
What multicables do you use?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:46:34 AM »
Hi people. First of all, many thanks for the responses so far regarding my general posts in connection with SSL wiring (feel free to criticise as we will all learn from having different views).

Showcase mentioned 'what multicables do you use' especially 32 pair. As Sintech, mentioned, I have 32 pair SSL multicore here (about 180 metres unused along with smaller lengths and 16 and 24 pair versions) plus some made up looms including DL plugs and/or looms crimped for them. I'll list some of these soon in the buy and sell menu.

To answer the points raised:

1   There is no standard brand used for SSL console installation wiring. Over the years, like elsewhere I guess, various manufacturers have been flavour of the month. Read my notes below after point 3.

2   The loom assemblies I have listed on my website (www.profcon.co.uk) are complete as described. They are heavily discounted as they have been built and are taking up space here (I intend to move soon).

3   I can easily construct other similar looms to the same, or better, wiring standard but the price would reflect the increase in the parts since these were made plus the labour cost.

I have wired various makes of cable over the last 30 years and it seems that it may be an idea to create a new post soon dealing with some suitable multicores for SSL (or indeed other) consoles as this could be of interest. Again, I will approach this from a wiring viewpoint and will especially focus on the connectors used, how to deal with them and make the task easier and quicker to complete.

All these multicores have good and bad points relating to cost, ease of wiring, flexibility and signal integrity but I will just deal with some of these from a wire person's point of view.

As I have quite a lot of multicore cables available here in various lengths, I will post some adverts soon as they could be useful to SSL console owners but, read my comments beforehand so you can make your own decisions. Watch this space!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:08:15 AM by jimlfixit »

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »
Hi Jim!

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated,
I sent you a pm, would like to buy asap! :)