Author Topic: power supply 9000K for 9000J  (Read 1385 times)

swarapadi

• Bali, Indonesia
power supply 9000K for 9000J
« on: July 27, 2023, 06:57:54 AM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know if analog & digital PSU for 9000K will work on 9000J ?  please see attachment.
The both PSUs were used for 9048K, assuming they will be used for the same channel of 9048J.

What is the typical lifetime for Omega Lambda PSU before they need to be rebuilt or started failing ?
Thank you

Dave Dicson

Re: power supply 9000K for 9000J
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 03:46:35 PM »
I would think they would work, as long as the output connectors are the same. There are 2 different types.
Early on when we got are J. SSL replaced 1 of the modules that had died. We have since replaced the J with a K and replaced the power supplies that came with the K which were all working when they were pulled out of service. In are case, both the J & K power supplies used the same connectors. Power supplies are now just collecting dusk.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Lambda power supply thoughts July 2023 (Jim Lassen).
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 06:36:40 PM »
Hi

Just logged on to be updated with all the posts here after a week or so.

Hopefully this has changed a lot since 1981 or so but SSL used Lambda power supply modules for their main console PSU's before they built their own 661 5u version inhouse. The Lambda modules were ALWAYS breaking down and had to be replaced. I remember having a steel 3u 19" grey box, machining it for the different power supply modules, wiring them in, only to replace some of them later.

Hopefully, the newer Lambda power supply modules are more reliable than those older ones from 40 years ago?

I didn't know that SSL still used Lambda PSU's for J or K consoles. The 19 way Bicc (Trident?) connectors are probably the same but with some different pinouts it seems (less pins I think but in the same place?).

Hope this helps or, at least is an interesting read. Regards from Jim Lassen in the UK (need to do more wiring posts with SSL patchbay wiring at some point soon...sorry for the delay!)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 10:21:11 AM »
Hey Jim,

Off the main topic, but were you ever involved in the wiring of consoles with additional cue sub mixers?
I'll start a separate topic soon, but recently have acquired a lot of spare parts, with a lot of console modules that came out of a major TV studio here. There were additional cue sends (5-8 and 9-12) for all 80 channels, controlled off four external sub mixers!

Anthony.

swarapadi

• Bali, Indonesia
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 04:28:40 PM »
Thank you Dave, Jim for the reply. 
the harting connectors looked the same on the PSU outputs.
Yes, the old Lambda PSU primary section kept breaking down, our tech was trying to fix it, but without a schematic was a tough job.