Author Topic: Patch points  (Read 597 times)

Richealey

• Nashville, TN
Patch points
« on: February 03, 2023, 04:03:45 PM »
I have a few unidentified wires that go to my remote patch bay. What is the switched talkback. Is this what MD ( Music Director ) used to be on an E. Then there's unswitched TB - I have no idea what this is.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Talkback issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 12:00:56 AM »
Hi. As far as I remember after 40 years, talkback (TB) is when the engineer talks to the musicians via headphones and therefore Return Talkback (RTB) is when the musicians in the live room talk back to the control room, normally via the Listen mic (s).
Not too sure what switched or unswitched TB is about so, maybe take a picture of your patchbay (which console do you have) and/or connector list for that pinout.
MD was originally intended as a send to the Musical Director (elsewhere in the studio) so the Engineer could talk to them and should be a separate issue.

Hope this helps for now and I would be interested in any other comments for reasons I will explain later. Jim Lassen, wiring moderator on here and worked at SSL from 1980-87.

Maybe rename your post as something to do with talkback as opposed to just Patch Points so people can find it quickly!

Richealey

• Nashville, TN
Re: Patch points
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 04:04:13 AM »
I've just finished wiring up the remote patchbay. I was going by wire name. I hooked the ones up I had questions about and fed tone in or looked for something coming out. The ol' trial and error method. Switched Talkback was indeed what I knew as Music Director. On my console ( 8000GB ) the switch is called Ext Talkback. Talkback Unswitched is a feed from the console microphone that always seems to be on. Not sure what you'd want that for. I also found the Listen Mic Inputs. My console also seems to have Listen Mic outputs. I assume this is so you can patch into the Listen Mic circuit. These are always active. The RTB button sends the listen Mics to the Mini speakers.