Author Topic: Recapping - Capacitor on C9 VCA card - Logic Card  (Read 1580 times)

Franz

Recapping - Capacitor on C9 VCA card - Logic Card
« on: May 13, 2021, 09:24:55 PM »
Hello to all! I have two questions, I hope you can help me.

In this period I am doing full channel recapping and:

1- I would like to know if someone has ever changed the value of the capacitor from 10uf 35V to 100uf 35V on C9 on the VCA board.  - circled in red in the picture - as suggested by Jim Williams. Also, on the rear side, I applied 2 Wima 0.01uf 250V on C9 and C8 (Nichicon Muse non polar).

2 - In the third picture there is the logic card and I would like to know if the switches on the two red elements must be in a precise position.

Thanks to all!

Timetravel

Re: Recapping - Capacitor on C9 VCA card - Logic Card
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »
Hi.
Im not still in that phase, but as you may have read, my console is the one Jim Williams was talking about. As it turns out, the previous owners, have not done the mods, for budget related problems.
It will be intresting to know the outcome.
Isnt the mod Jim mentioned, about the VCA 82E26’s center section cards only?
Best
Erjon.

Franz

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 11:45:53 PM »
Not only that. It's also about the change the value of the capacitor on the C9 position on the VCA board, but this is the first channel I've finished and I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, let's wait for those who may have done this modification before.  8)

Franz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
Anyone?

Megaphon

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »
I recently finished a full recap of one of our consoles, a 1995 4040G+. After some initial tests and careful reading of all the schematics I decided to replace all electrolytics (except where the exact value is critical for the circuit design) with values as large as could be physically fit. The result of this method gave capacitances at double or tripple the original value. All values 6.8uF and lower were replaced with Wima MKS. All polar caps got Panasonic FR and Nichicon UEP for the bipolars. These are also 105C long life caps. This console now measures significantly better than any 4K ever did when new.

Regarding C8 and C9 on the VCA board those got 220/25 and 33/35 respectively. Didn't bother bridging them (nor any other) with small Wimas.

For the switch settings on your logic board you need to consult the service manual to figure out the best setting for your application.

Franz

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 12:35:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I too have used Panasonic FR, WIMA and as for Nichicon I have used 'MUSE". I hope to have a nice result in terms of audio upgrade regarding the mod on the VCA! :)