Author Topic: Broker experiences  (Read 3082 times)

MartyAckerman

Broker experiences
« on: September 02, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »
Hello all,

I'm in the process of purchasing my first SSL - a 6048 E/G+ - from a broker.  I'm curious how your experiences with this process have gone.

For me, it has been longer than expected.  I paid for the board in May 2021. It is now September and I don't yet have a solid timeline to have it shipped.

I'd rather not name the broker, but the deal was this: I paid up front for the console with the guarantee that it would be fully functional - anything that was found to need servicing would be addressed and I'd get a 30 day warranty. The broker has been very responsive this whole time, even if he generally answers with something along the lines of "soon". The power supply has been rebuilt, at least.

Is this par for the course? I didn't expect this to be like purchasing a widget from Amazon, but I also wasn't expecting to go for a year after paying without the mixer.

mg73

Re: Broker experiences
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »
I would not accept that from a broker.

And I think you should name the broker.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 01:14:10 AM »
Agreed. PM me direct if you don't want to publicly name anyone.
I can give advice on my dealings.

Anthony.

Clip6

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:43:04 AM »
Nashville?

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: Broker experiences. Jim Lassen thoughts
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 01:10:04 AM »
Hi
I also am disgusted about how you have been treated by the broker and really think you should mention him on here so others can be warned. You are in the USA on the Eastern coast I think. I worked at SSL from 1980-87 and I find it distressing that so may new owners buy consoles, which are much cheaper these days (100k going down to 20-40K), but don't have any documentation of how they are wired. I am currently wiring two consoles in the UK with hardly any documentation, it sucks and Colin Sanders, the owner of SSL years ago, would have been saddened by this.
Name and shame this broker please (I would). You actually paid for it in May 2021, not a year ago but, even so, that is a long time to wait and a 30 day warranty is not enough as it needs to be in a good and workable state before you get it and a commissioning engineer needs to make sure it is working in your new premises, after transportation etc.
Hope this helps and good luck. I am based in the UK so cannot help too much I guess.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 01:24:17 AM »
I'd be careful about publicly naming someone. There are always two sides to a story and there might be legitimate reasons for the delay which have not been fully communicated.

FYI - if the deal required payment from the broker to acquire the source console, then you have to wait for that transaction to be completed, shipped, reconfigured, etc..
I'm happy to give my own opinions privately around the people I have dealt with, and help to resolve the issues where I possibly can.

Anthony.

MartyAckerman

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 07:20:36 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks so much for the replies. I didn't realize my experience is quite that far out of line. I also haven't configured my account to get notifications yet, so apologies for the delay. This being my first post to the forum, I really don't want to bring such negative energy and spawn a campaign against anyone.  It's just not my style (I hope).

I'll get firmer in my correspondence.  If this board doesn't materialize soon I'll have to sort out what my recourse is, but I truly hate the thought of involving lawyers.   

Horizonsound, I appreciate your offer for help and I may take you up on that. I do know that the broker needed to ship the console to his shop to do repairs before shipping to me, so it seems that would account for some of the lost time. Still, I don't want to be moving this thing in the dead of northeastern US winter.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 08:11:55 PM »
Hi Marty
Just seen your latest post on this matter. It doesn't seem clear when you made the payment. Was it last year or THIS May?
If last year (2020), that is unacceptable and urgent action needs to be taken in my opinion. If the payment was in May 2021, perhaps there could be some leeway and time to adjust for things to settle down.
Maybe you could clarify this so we all know. Hope this helps from Jim Lassen.

MartyAckerman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »
I sent payment in May of this year - 2021. Which is about 4 months ago now.

MartyAckerman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 04:14:06 PM »
Quick update: I finally have a date that he says the console will be ready to ship! October 29, 2021. I really doubt he'll hit the date, but at least I have something concrete to hold him to. I had to ask him to skip servicing the computer in order to get a date set, but I really need to get this console underway.

I truly regret agreeing to pay up front.  I realize there are costs in acquiring and servicing the console to sell, but a large deposit would have been plenty. Even if it meant not getting this console and continuing to shop around.  I may have ended up on a trident message board!

MartyAckerman

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »
Final update: I've got the console!

It was really an ordeal.  Final delivery was scheduled for Dec. 20th after purchasing on May 5th.  On the day of delivery, we got a call from the truck driver saying he didn't have the crew needed to deliver it, so he was cancelling.  I had called in favors to get a group of 5 strong people to help move the console, so I was furious. After much consternation, we agreed to rent a box truck, drive the 50ish miles to the warehouse, and pick up the console ourselves that night. 

We removed all the channels, the steel sides and legs, and slowly crept the beast inside.  It took until 2am in 20 degree Fahrenheit weather.  The console appears to be in workable shape, at least. In the meantime I've picked up an Atomic power supply and it powers up! It came with a service manual, but no documentation on where all the DL connectors go, so I'm in the process of sending signal through the patchbay and mapping those out.

I'm new to owning this kind of equipment and have a hobbyist's knowledge of electronics, so prepare yourselves to be inundated with my inane questions.  I'll try to do my research before I bother you all.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 08:43:01 PM by MartyAckerman »