Author Topic: SL613 Jig Help  (Read 1990 times)

Loopzilla5

• NYC
    • My Page Of Love
SL613 Jig Help
« on: October 05, 2021, 07:13:47 PM »
Hi all!

Can someone help me with a 613E jig setup? There are some questions I have and would appreciate any direction. I've pieced together a full jig - bought the 613 head without connectors or a PSU a few years ago and found a 612 card connector last year. I built a regulated power supply for the setup and it all works... somewhat. Here are the questions. Thanks for any help.

1. Do I need an external Ultimation fader for Ultimation 611G strips? When connected, there is no signal from anything in the channel path, so I assume the lack of a long fader is to blame. The blue fader on the SL163 does nothing at all. I can get signal from some short fader paths if I monitor the group matrix and LF/RF bus. I have a spare Ultimation Fader Mother Card and am prepared to modify it for the jig if needed. I'll just have to buy a fader pack and wire it up.

2. Switch logic on my 613E is all momentary. It doesn't 'latch'. Is this normal? These are the Mon Cut Bus, VCA Fader, Slate and all other black momentary buttons.

3. I'm sending line signal into the XLR on the 613E head, then monitoring on the headphone jack. How do I monitor the Mic/Line amps? Is this related to the long fader problem above?

4. I've seen some 612 card connectors modified to include an XLR input jack. What's the story with this mod?

5. What does the DPDT switch on the card do? The schematic shows it connects the leads to a pair of resistors - I assume for noise/grounding. Is that all it does?

Do one of you have a fully working system? Can I pay for your time to chat for an hour? Zoom is good or I'll come to you if you're in NYC.

Thanks everyone -

Chris Simon

Re: SL613 Jig Help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Hi,

I've got some experience with the 613's predecessor, the 612, so I assume they're roughly similar. So to your questions:

1. What you need for Ultimation testing is the 354 test set. As the balanced audio and the VCA control voltage travel down the 10-way ribbon, you need the 354 to plug into this. The VCA voltage in the 613 box, from the blue fader, won't supply a voltage to the Ultimation card.

2. Momentaries are normal.

3. You'll have to monitor from Insert, pre fader.

4. Not sure.

5. The switch, I believe, connects the resistors to the Mic input, to check for noise in the mic pre in the absence of signal.

Hope this makes sense.

Loopzilla5

• NYC
    • My Page Of Love
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »
Hi Chris -

Thanks for the answers!

The 354 Test Set seems to be unobtainable - there's no info that I can find about it. Do you know of one I could look at? Is it simply a 354 card from the fader pack that's been modified?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 04:25:01 PM by Loopzilla5 »

Chris Simon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 02:49:05 PM »
Hi,

It would seem I'm able to post again. Pictures from a friend of the 354 test jig:

amillar

• United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 10:59:03 AM »
5. The switch, I believe, connects the resistors to the Mic input, to check for noise in the mic pre in the absence of signal.
Yes, although I'd completely forgotten that! We used it to check for noisy 5534s, it was a regular job in production test to weed those out.
One of my first jobs at SSL was spending all day every day setting up 611s on that jig...gawd it was dull...you have no idea how many packets of biscuits I got through doing that!  ;D

Cheers, Andy
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92

Loopzilla5

• NYC
    • My Page Of Love
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 08:54:54 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the pictures! I can't see them very well, but they confirm that something exists.

If anyone has one, I'll re-design and build a new one (or several). All I need is (directed) hi-res pics and a couple of conversations :).

Thanks!

jwhmca

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »
The input switch on your setup is on "MON". Are you sure that's right? I have mine set to "LINE R/1"
"It's all about being a servant."