Author Topic: Comparing E-Series X-Rack EQ with the console  (Read 8467 times)

atticmike

Comparing E-Series X-Rack EQ with the console
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »
Hey there,

Has anyone amongst the brit-touched artists compared the e-series x-rack EQ with a racked / console old e-series unit :D ?

I'd be hugely appreciative of your input.

Mike

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Comparing E-Series X-Rack EQ with the console
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
Hey there,

Has anyone amongst the brit-touched artists compared the e-series x-rack EQ with a racked / console old e-series unit :D ?

I'd be hugely appreciative of your input.

Mike

Very interesting question Mike.
I have not had the chance to compare the two units side by side on a sonic level.
I have had the chance to test them on the bench and do some comparisons using a neutrik A1.

There is a huge difference in construction and parts selection between the two units:

-the newer stuff it's completely SMD and uses "cheaper" pots and switches which, for their physical form, are easily mountable on a PCB using an automated system, this in turns means reduced production costs.

-the older stuff it's obviously not SMD and all the pots are hand wired to the main mother board so there is (there was I should say) a lot more work involved into building it.

from measurement point of view they behave (as far as I could measure!) exactly the same....
but again I wish I could have had them side by side in the studio as that would have been THE TEST.

it would be interesting to do an A/B test and see if anybody could spot any difference...perhaps it's something we should do...

are you based in UK?

Mattia.

PS= we are still working on the forum to visualize members location...be patient..

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
The X-Rack stuff omits the Hi and Low filters, replaced with a fixed 'Hi Pass' button. This is a shame.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:42:06 PM »
We should do an A-B test, Mmmm.. maybe SSL would lend us some?

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
The X-Rack stuff omits the Hi and Low filters, replaced with a fixed 'Hi Pass' button. This is a shame.

Agree.....

We should do an A-B test, Mmmm.. maybe SSL would lend us some?

mmm maybe someone like KMR or Funky would....it would be VERY interesting....

Mattia.

atticmike

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »

that's why there is a dedicated input module :P

Anyways, just finished my frankenstein ssl box with 5000 series input, x-rack E-EQ and 5000 compressor. Took me three different psus to get the voltages right, never again :D

And yeah, it'd be great to hear the difference for once. I possessed a racked 5000 series channel with the fixed Q but it broke beyond recovery during a burglary in a friend's live room.
So far from what I remember with the 5000 series EQ, i find the new x-rack EQ much more defined yet with plenty of the old character. Usually, with compressors such as the 1176 i prefer the old lush and refreshing distortion, however with the ssl EQs, I find it more pleasing that they increased the definition. Yet a matter of taste I suppose.

I have not had the chance to compare the two units side by side on a sonic level.
I have had the chance to test them on the bench and do some comparisons using a neutrik A1.

There is a huge difference in construction and parts selection between the two units:

-the newer stuff it's completely SMD and uses "cheaper" pots and switches which, for their physical form, are easily mountable on a PCB using an automated system, this in turns means reduced production costs.

-the older stuff it's obviously not SMD and all the pots are hand wired to the main mother board so there is (there was I should say) a lot more work involved into building it.

from measurement point of view they behave (as far as I could measure!) exactly the same....
but again I wish I could have had them side by side in the studio as that would have been THE TEST.

it would be interesting to do an A/B test and see if anybody could spot any difference...perhaps it's something we should do...

are you based in UK?

Mattia.

PS= we are still working on the forum to visualize members location...be patient..

I assume you underestimate the cue of smds. Ten years into the future, pro audio hardware will barely be manufactured with big, chunky caps and resistors. I had the discussion once with a former neighbour who's been building electronics for all sorts of cars in the industry and he explained to me why there is barely a difference between smd and small components if their specs are appropriate and suitable for the application. In terms of longevity and durability, smds are beyond the old stuff if properly stuffed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:04:15 PM by atticmike »

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Not adding the filters to these EQs is soooo piss poor of SSL, it defies all logic to me.

Stef.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »

that's why there is a dedicated input module :P

Anyways, just finished my frankenstein ssl box with 5000 series input, x-rack E-EQ and 5000 compressor. Took me three different psus to get the voltages right, never again :D

And yeah, it'd be great to hear the difference for once. I possessed a racked 5000 series channel with the fixed Q but it broke beyond recovery during a burglary in a friend's live room.
So far from what I remember with the 5000 series EQ, i find the new x-rack EQ much more defined yet with plenty of the old character. Usually, with compressors such as the 1176 i prefer the old lush and refreshing distortion, however with the ssl EQs, I find it more pleasing that they increased the definition. Yet a matter of taste I suppose.

are you based in UK?

Mattia.

I assume you underestimate the cue of smds. Ten years into the future, pro audio hardware will barely be manufactured with big, chunky caps and resistors. I had the discussion once with a former neighbour who's been building electronics for all sorts of cars in the industry and he explained to me why there is barely a difference between smd and small components if their specs are appropriate and suitable for the application. In terms of longevity and durability, smds are beyond the old stuff if properly stuffed.

in fact my post was not negative towards SMD in any way, just stating what I have observed.
furthermore I explained I would like to do an A/B test side by side to compare the two.

not to argue against specifications but from my experience in this business sometimes things might just sound different even if they should not on the paper...  :)

Mattia.