Tech discussion > General info - Tools,How to -

SSL 4 / 6K fixing screws and bolts

(1/3) > >>

jimlfixit:
In the early days of SSL, the 4 and 6k consoles were fitted with BA screws and some various taptites. Later on, probably from 1985, the 5K, 9K and other consoles used metric fixings. Bear in mind most of this is from memory going back nearly 25 years ago so, please contact me if I have got it wrong!

The channel module 611 screws were 4BA x 5/16" black countersunk pozi screws, the Bargraph versions were 4BA x 1". Small faders in the modules, the 651 035 (?) echo cards plus the 621 Producer panel screws and other front panel fixings were normally 6BA x 1/4 or sometimes even 5/16" black countersunk hex head screws. All of these were chemically blackened with a matt finish (not the glossy version). Some of these were screwed into a custom made ali block which allowed a threaded front panel fixing via a 6BA screw and a provision for a PCB assembly to mount at 90 degrees to the panel (such as the 651 echo card PCB and the tape remote PCB in the 682 panel normally mounted in the centre section).

Other screw fixings for the console metalwork were, I think, a normal screw for the front fader buffer trim and maybe a 2BA bolt for the penthouse meter trim (along with a strip of ali perhaps to act as a spacer in both locations) plus 2 BA fixings for the end profile triangular shape trim (3 per unit, some involving countersunk or other hex head screws or bolts depending where fitted). 0BA (or use M6 instead) brass bolts were used for both the copper earthing bar buscard fixings for the 0v connections.

The end profile heavy 'banana' shaped trims used a larger screw fixing (2 per unit) which I am not sure about although, I have some here and will measure them but, they were normally a countersunk hex head bolt. George Gilbert, an ex SSL engineer, has been involved in lots of console metalwork extensions and re-fits over the years and knows better than me on this subject (Ggatpumbro@aol.com).

All the console rectangular or more square type isep rail (which now seems hard to find although I have some left) had 4BA insert strips and I think the countersunk screws fitted from the profiles into this were 6.32 taptites. M3.5 screws can also be used as a replacement but take care as the thread is different.

Finally, the module removal tools were basically just a pair of 2BA screws with Sifam knobs fitted so don't be fooled by some expensive versions out there! The earlier patchbay screws had a 4:40 thread used to secure the US Audioline jacks. Later on, SSL fitted custom made mini head hex screws which were used for the Mosses and Mitchell jacks. I will cover patchbays in a different subject in more detail later on. Hope this helps from Jim Lassen.

marcmozart:
Hi Jim,
is there a good source on the internet to find the various screws used on our consoles?

I am particularly after the Channel Screws and the ones for the small fader. Recycled Audio has the Channel Screws, BUT the material they're made of is so soft that they're unusable after a short time.

Also, what size of hex head screwdriver do I need for the small fader screws?

waltzingbear:
in the US these people look interesting, the page I am linking to has thread information on BA screws, detailed

http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/index.html

if you really want to make your head swim, here is a compendium of what looks to be ALL threads!
http://www.watchman.dsl.pipex.com/thread.html

Alan

michaeldtech:
That list is intense.

I have to re-screw an entire SL6056 so I am on the prowl.

britishfasteners does not have exact, but they may be able to get it in quantity.
Also checking UK.
Mike

michaeldtech:
I found the proper screws at Wilfast in Willingham.  Other vendors UK and US were not able to get the specifics.  One could get BA socket heads.
Gary was able to get the 4BA screws but not the 6BA socket heads.  I am going to order the shorter sockethead screws mentioned by sintech in a different thread.

4BA x 5/16 CSK POZI BLACK  15.92/100 at qty 500 and 4.68/100 at qty 2000 
4BA x 7/8 CSK POZI BLACK   33.36/100 at qty 200  prices in pounds sterling

I should have them in 2-3 weeks and will report how they are- "soft", finish quality, etc.
Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version