Author Topic: 4032E Build  (Read 38082 times)

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
4032E Build
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:44:11 AM »
Hi all,

Thought I might start this topic to document the build of a 4032E console.
The intent will be to provide as much information on this journey through photos / videos, as the console is being built up from scratch, including almost all wiring.
I'll be taking note of all the part numbers and suppliers along the way, to help anyone else out.

A few parts have arrived to date (thanks to Andy!), and the other are currently about to be loaded onto a vessel in the UK, arriving mid Sep.

This I'm sure, is going to send me down the rabbit hole!

82E26 Cards and MRACs -

SL651E

Patch Bays

Patch bay bucket

A few channels / faders already here...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:26:39 AM by horizonsound »

Clip6

Re: 4032E Build
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
Awesome.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Re: 4032E Build: Patchbay
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 12:32:48 AM »
Hi Anthony
Just seen your pictures and good luck with your project.
I saw the patchbay pictures and know this will be a problem to solve. Argh, I wish the patchbays and wiring could have been diverted to me here in the UK as I can easily sort it out for your console as some people like Andy on here already know.

It is not difficult but I have the knowledge and proper SSL type parts to make it fit for purpose and it could end up almost ready to just plug in and go with the patchbay to Biccs, DL's and Mrac connectors (the Mracs needing you to terminate at the connector ends plus the Biccs to plug in). This is easy for me but probably much harder for you once you receive the bits and think gulp!

Did the whole lot get shipped out from Mike Stockdale (AES) to you? He is not far away from where I am (30 minute drive)?
Ruddy frustrating to witness this when I could have solved the patchbay wiring issue quite quickly.

Just noticed (1am on 18th July) that it may not be too late for AES to perhaps divert the patchbay bits to here before the rest of it is shipped to Oz.
If this makes sense and you want to communicate about it, before it ships, please contact me now on (jimlassenwiring@btinternet.com).

Regards and good luck regardless from Jim.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:08:12 AM by jimlfixit »

Tonemiester

• Denver
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »
Brave man! I can't wait to see the progress.

Mike

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:59:49 AM »
Hi All,

The last month has been spent tracking down a lot of smaller items. Meters, faders, connectors etc.
I've been working on a power supply for the desk as well. Finally some success, this thing pumps out 27 Amps per rail, which should be able to cover 32 channels and master section.

This weekend I'll get it completed with the remote start and DC voltmeters installed and upload more pictures.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:43:55 AM by horizonsound »

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:47:11 AM »
PSU Complete, with DC voltmeters and remote start!!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:10:40 AM by horizonsound »

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »
Looks like a lovely package, but I think you will find that you will have to add some sort of heat exchange to the unit.

Those are Meanwell supplies correct?? My guess that running at 18V with the current you need will need some cooling of the unit(s). So watch the psu when you first turn it on for overheating.

As you probably haven't linked the two supplies protection together, if one trips due to overheating then you will have single sided the console (ie giving it only one of the pair of supplies) This is not a good idea for any bi-polar supply circuit. It causes indeterminate dc levels to be created throughout the console. Usually a short term occurrence does no real harm, but there are possibilities of reverse biasing capacitors, etc, smaller effects that are cumulative but harder to identify.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your feedback on the PSU. There certainly has been a lot of design time put in to it. The build itself only took a fraction of the time spent on design / component selection.

Yes, the main 18V units are Meanwell ones that have an integrated fan. Without it, they are limited in output current to 17 Amps, which may be enough to run a bucket or two only.

The two supplies have not been linked via their protection, but I had in mind to install a relay latch so that if any one 18V rail goes down, the other gets switch off immediately. I believe CML Audio already make something like this that can be retrofitted at the console end.

All of the above is the reason I have no intention here of going head-to-head with the likes of Atomic. They have a reputation at stake and have built that, liability and potential consequential losses into their design and price point.

Anthony.

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
ah good

wasn't aware of the internal fan in that unit.

excellent idea to add single siding protection.

Cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

JoshMoran

• Los Angeles, CA
    • In Flight Music Studios
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 03:15:21 AM »
Insanity.. Just spent 2 months rebuilding our 8064G+. Ups & down, but totally worth it, godspeed!
Kind regards,

Josh Moran | In-House Engineer
In Flight Music Group

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 02:57:54 AM »
The ship arrived this week with one half of the console, after waiting three months for it at sea.
All I can say at this point in time is; dear God, what have I got myself in to??? Ha ha.... cue madman laughing.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:14:46 AM by horizonsound »

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
a jigsaw puzzle!!!

cheers
Alan
Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 07:16:45 AM »
a jigsaw puzzle!!!

cheers
Alan

And what a fun jigsaw puzzle that was today.

Job done. Next stage is waiting on the DL patch panel plate back from the laser cutter, and then I'll be working on the power distribution.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:18:41 AM by horizonsound »

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
4032E Build patchbay
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »
Hi Anthony

Glad you have received some of your SSL console and I notice that the patchbay is 40 jacks wide. SSL made 40 wide to begin with, then 48 and later 56, 80 and 32.
The 32 and 80 wide (160 jacks in total) were not 19" wide, only the 40, 48 and 56 wide versions. I worked there from 1980 and know how the whole thing developed throughout the years.

I wish I could have had all that patch wiring here before it went to you but it was too late as I mentioned to you in a message and email. I could have sorted all that out within a week but now, it is your problem unfortunately but, you can contact me of course if you need any help.

Good luck with that but it is not a big deal if you think about it a bit. Just attention to detail and preparation really helps.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 02:33:00 AM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. They are all 48 wide patch bays though. Some are audio line but most are M&M.
Luckily a Tape Return / Line In split pair of bays was included, which must have came off a 72 channel console, so that has saved me a heap of time, as only cable shortening is required.

I'm putting together a BOM of parts I'll need from you, as a lot of the other bays are not normalled, and don't have switching jacks.

Yes you are right, patience is the key, and not to do it when you are tired. I made one small measurement error last night which has cost me an hour of rework.

Anthony.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:26:34 AM by horizonsound »