Author Topic: Replacing the silver capacitors  (Read 1254 times)

mjlaudio

Replacing the silver capacitors
« on: May 03, 2022, 03:42:39 AM »
Hi Everyone

I am doing a bit of recapping. I have seen the suggestion to replace what I’m assuming are the rectangular silver caps on a couple of the cards

What are people replacing these with?

I am having a hard time finding them.

I have a couple channels that are fuzzy at times hoping this may help

Many thanks!

radardoug2

• New Zealand
Re: Replacing the silver capacitors
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:57:12 PM »
If they are not electros, why are you replacing them? This whole cap replacement thing gets very out of hand.
The correct way to proceed, is only to do electros. Pull some,measure them. If they read OK, dont change them.
Or put 30 Hz through the channel, if the level is the same as 1 kHz, then dont replace.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 01:43:07 AM »
I agree with Doug's approach here.

The film caps rarely fail.

Anthony.

mjlaudio

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 05:20:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

I was mainly going off a couple posts I found. Like this:

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php?topic=903.msg5953#msg5953

I’ve got a couple channels that are fuzzy when signal gets to them but then they clean up. But once signal stops and comes back they fuzz for a bit. I’ve excercised switches and knobs but it comes back.

This is in mix with vca to mons, no matrix switches used.

Just was wondering if this could be part of it.

I’m ordering a bunch of caps and chips and stuff so I figured I’d order stuff all at once.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:18:16 PM »
Fuzzy that changes with level is normally switches or bad contacts. When you exercise the switches, do they crackle as the button is pushed? That indicates bad contact.

Pinebox

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 07:12:32 PM »
I agree, intermittent distortion is usually bad switches on an SSL. I have recapped a half dozen or so full consoles over the years and the electrolytic are the only ones of common concern (I have seen a couple wimas fail on the EQ card though)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 12:09:21 AM »
Yup, when switches are not used for a while the contacts oxidise and the same is true with your car fog lights which may not be used much unless there is foggy conditions and it may be to late then.

Therefore it could be a good idea to press all the switches a few times on an SSL from time to time, especially the top routing buttons, which are not used much, just to keep them in shape and to save them for a while longer.

Hope this helps from Jim.

mjlaudio

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 02:08:47 AM »
Thanks everyone! I’m no longer looking into replacing those. I have been in fault finding mode so I’ve been looking for little faults to make the desk work better.

The fuzzy channels seem to be better now that I have been exercising the switches.

I’ve got a couple weird faults that I’ll post about possibly later unless I find solutions.

Thanks!