Author Topic: Check your Extender Cards!  (Read 3789 times)

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
Check your Extender Cards!
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
After a wasted day troubleshooting my defective 024 Logic Card, I found out that I was not getting anywhere because my Extender card had a broken trace.

Just a reminder for all of you - before working with an Extender Card, check the Extender Card itself for damages! In my case the trace was loose and created a short between different voltages. Sparks flying out the Centre Section. Fun! But at the end of the day nothing got damaged except perhaps the card that was defective anyway!

Have a great day!
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Check your Extender Cards!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »
After a wasted day troubleshooting my defective 024 Logic Card, I found out that I was not getting anywhere because my Extender card had a broken trace.

Just a reminder for all of you - before working with an Extender Card, check the Extender Card itself for damages! In my case the trace was loose and created a short between different voltages. Sparks flying out the Centre Section. Fun! But at the end of the day nothing got damaged except perhaps the card that was defective anyway!

Have a great day!

What a pain.....
M.

brewery

• The Brewery
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:58 PM »
yes, those center section extenders are pretty shitty quality. don't know if it's just because the don't have the green laquer on them, but i had a whole trace blow like a fuse in front of my eyes from a fet that shorted out.

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Same thing on channel extenders.
I've had to resoldered dozens of broken solder points on them.

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook