Author Topic: Ideas about more SSL info!  (Read 3871 times)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Ideas about more SSL info!
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:24 AM »
First of all, this is a temporary post on the 'How to do' section of the sslmixed site to ask for opinions connected with various subjects as listed below.

I've drafted some more ideas for this forum dealing with SSL patchbay wiring part 2 (an 8 channel SSL extension patchbay showing some different wiring methods and parts), SSL console earthing, the cables, looms and other items SSL supplied with new 4/6K consoles, paintwork changes over the years and also the different bantam jacks used. Some of this may be known by experienced users but new owners may not know as much so, I intend to post some useful information on these subjects soon (which may also overlap with SSL history).

Before I post anything, has anyone with early (and ideally direct) experience involving these subjects got anything to contribute? I am trying to get other ex SSL people involved beforehand as well. If I don't hear back from people, I will post some comments and hope I get everything accurate. In my view, it is best to get some comments written down for the benefit of others before it is too late and some of us older SSL people (I am 56 but a lot of other SSL people are almost pensioners) have moved on to other things.

Over the last few years it has become very apparent to me that new, generally younger, SSL users have probably bought a console but have hardly any idea of what is involved (not helped by the lack of manuals available and spares being hard to find etc). This website is solely dedicated to SSL users and we should all make a contribution to inform others and make the SSL name live on.

Any comments from anyone before I commit to print? You can contact me with your thoughts directly in advance on an email via my website (www.profcon.co.uk) if required. Thanks for reading this and hope to hear from you soon if relevant.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:25:46 AM by jimlfixit »

Doctor Ferg

Re: Ideas about more SSL info!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »
Hi Jim,
Speaking as someone with a 4000e refurbishment project in progress (that we hope you will be part of) this sounds like fantastic information.  I am sure many of would be very grateful if would be so kind as to share your wisdom via this forum.

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
+1, I'm very keen on knowing all about the grounding schemes, you would've been totally at the sharp end of this, during the early 80's

Great to have you here Jim :-)

Subhumanrecords

• Keeping Analog Alive 2 Inches @ A Time !!
    • Nashville, TN USA
    • Subhumanaudiopro
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:04:10 AM »
+1 for me also, since I've getting ready to start my first bucket,and I no Andy gets tired of all my ?????  LOL....Hahaha

Myke
Keeping Analog Alive 2 Inches @ A Time !!(Plus PTHD)

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
SSL earthing pictures required
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43:20 AM »
Before I write a post about SSL earthing, can I please ask you console owners out there to take some close up pictures of the power wiring green earthing, the patch screens and other earthing wires at the main earthing block where the two copper bars join up under the patchbay?

I need this to jog my memory on the SSL earthing system as it has been nearly 20 years since I saw this stuff and I don't want to get it wrong before printing anything. I don't have an SSL anymore and most of you do, so, the next time you take your patchbay out, send me some close up pictures of the earthing block and green wiring please otherwise it may be a few months before I see the inside of an SSL to refresh my memory.

Thanks people. Jim Lassen (www.profcon.co.uk). Email me direct on prof.conATvirgin.net (substitute @ for AT).