Author Topic: Full 4K refurb  (Read 4191 times)

Kprellz

Re: Full 4K refurb
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 07:12:46 AM »
Well after fighting the patchbay and the MRAC's we decided to deloom the console haha. this console also had a producers panel at some point, when they removed it they left all the cabling so we decided now was the time to correct that also. We decided that were going to forego the attached patchbay and go with remote bittree patchbays. i'm going to make a new distro panel with slots for db25 instead of DL and convert the whole console over to db25. No going back now!

waltzingbear

• Portland, Oregon
    • Waltzing Bear Audio
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »
NOOOOOOO

worse idea ever, do not use db25
if you don't like DL use EDAC, but not dbfing25

Alan Garren
Waltzing Bear Audio

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 11:16:28 PM »
Someone wrote a great piece on DB25 vs EDAC vs DL connectors a long while back. Might have been on GS.
They highlighted the issues with each, mostly around the type and reliability of pin contact.
DL being the best having zero insertion force.

I'm an EDAC person, but that is a legacy of having once owned an ADAT system, and Amek console.

Anthony.

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 02:26:23 AM »
I agree with Alan. EDACs are OK, but DLs are better.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 01:25:26 AM »
Hi Kevin. You have emailed me directly on this matter and I know you now wish to go with 25 way D's.

Blimey, this is a complex issue between DL's, Edacs and 25 way D's and I am preparing a note with the plus and minus points for each of them but it may take some time as I am involved in two SSL installations right now in the UK, which makes a change and I am grateful for the work for after some time without hardly any due to Covid issues etc.

You required about four patchbay front panels to match the colour you have there and I have those as you know but, the screws were the issue, which we have discussed, being 4:40 versions which SSL used to use for the Audioline jacks before they changed to Mosses and Mitchell (I'll explain the reasons at some point later).

All these connectors have their plus and negative points and more and more people are changing things on their SSL consoles these days it seems.

If anyone wants to get in contact with me directly about this for now before I wrote my opinions, feel free to do so.
At the moment, this will take too long to think and write about as free advice on here doesn't pay my bills unfortunately.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 09:16:17 AM »
FYI, I used these screws for the jacks in the patchbay.
They are just a tad too long, and i also screwed them in prior, as I think the tapped hole was not quite 4-40.
This flogged the thread out just a little, so they were easy to screw in when the jack was in place.
Not the most elegant way, but was the only option I could find that worked.

Anthony.

https://au.element14.com/keystone/9900/screw-pan-head-phillips-ss-6-35mm/dp/2909155?CMP=i-55c5-00001621