Author Topic: SSL Computer Software - Development Documentation  (Read 32327 times)

Konnektor

• London
    • SSL 4k automation to DAW interface
Re: SSL Computer Software - Development Documentation
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:53:43 PM by Mattia Sartori »

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »
Thanks Werner!!

This information is very interesting where did you find it?! ;)

Perfect would be to talk with the Computer Automation Museum guy and convince him to scan the development manual for the NM4 cpu's we need. That would give a much deeper insight on the instruction set and machine state information.

Cheers,

Artur

pascal.verdet

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
Hi All,

Regarding the manual "SL 691 computer service manual", pages 2-2 and 2-18, we have a lot informations about "old" architecture. ( everyone interested should buy the manual  ;D )

From NM4 information, thanks Konnektor, the NM4 is a 16 bit architecture. I think that we msut find trought ecos supported hardware, a 16 bit processor ...in oder to interface all existing boards.

Now, what we do with time code reader / generator ?
We can find few chips on the market (I0055 from Otari, ICS200), but I'm not sure this is more efficient than FPGA

Cheers,
Pascal

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
From NM4 information, thanks Konnektor, the NM4 is a 16 bit architecture. I think that we msut find trought ecos supported hardware, a 16 bit processor ...in oder to interface all existing boards.

When you say "in order to interface all existing boards", are you referring to the different I/O-cards of the old SSL computer or to the actual mixing consoles?
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
Hi guys,

I'll post soon my architecture suggestion and also base hardware. I've been investigating a solution and I've found the perfect one. By the way...we won't need ecOS, standard Linux distro for embedded systems will suffice. I'll explain better in a different post.

Remember, the idea here is not to use ANY of the old hardware. We will have 100% new hardware without limitations. We're adding a new "brain" to the console, so forget all previous concepts. With the solution I have been investigating the hardware we'll need to design will be minimum and restricted only to I/O interfacing with the console.

Check my posts later in the night.

Cheers,

Artur

perfectsnd

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
Can't wait to hear your idea.

pascal.verdet

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »

When you say "in order to interface all existing boards", are you referring to the different I/O-cards of the old SSL computer or to the actual mixing consoles?

Hi,
To the actual mixing console, to preserve the console.

At the same time, I think we should be interested in the concept that allowed to exchange a audio tape and a data disk between different studios.
I looked at the file format, this is a big job to retrieve existing data.
Is this really necessary? How will mix reworked on the new system?

Artur,

I think the first task of the team must prepare a detailed specification.
This will guide the choice of hardware, software, and define the functionality of the system...

Have a nice evening
Pascal

retrocores

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
Thanks Werner!!

Perfect would be to talk with the Computer Automation Museum guy and convince him to scan the development manual for the NM4 cpu's we need. That would give a much deeper insight on the instruction set and machine state information.

Cheers,

Artur

I can ask him if you like?

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Thanks Werner!!

Cheers,

Artur

I can ask him if you like?

That would be perfect if you could! We might need that info when it comes to that! ;)

THanks!

pascal.verdet

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »
Hi guys,

I continue investigations to understand the workings of the "Ultimation".
Is someone could give me a copy of the eeprom (IC40) of 82E356 ?
Thanks,

Cheers,
Pascal

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi Pascal,

The ultimation will be something that we should include on our project.

It's a totally different system than the VCA automation, and I guess it will take even more effort from us, since we'll have to understand how we can control the fader electronics and motors and develop the necessary cards to connect them to our computer.

Any developments?

Cheers,

Artur

matt

• Reutlingen, Germany
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »
Just out of curiosity, and thinking more ahead, have you guys ever thought of a floppy replacement, such as this:

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#SDCARDFloppyemulator

..... to whom it may concern : here's the pricing :
http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=120

There also seems to be a 1:1 replacement option (at least for the 3,5" version) :
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/userfiles/pdf/cf2scsi/teac-scsi-floppy-replacement.pdf

Matt

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »
Thanks Matt,

It's always good to have these alternative if someone would like to try them out. The SSL Computer is a very picky piece of hardware and the Floppy drive that came with it it's not a standard one, so that's something someone would have to tryout because it's not guaranteed to work. But if it worked it would be definitely a great alternative! :D

In the meanwhile we have decided to focus our full attention on developing a totally new and modern computer. This will guarantee SSL owner for the future, with a piece of hardware/software that's easier maintainable/upgradable and 100% designed for modern workflows.

I will have more news soon on this! :D We've been making some developments on the background. When the project goes on full gas all help from the community will be helpful.

Cheers,

Artur

matt

• Reutlingen, Germany
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:43 AM »
Hi Artur,

thanks for getting back on this.

I am aware of the fact that we are focussing on a complete replacement of the old computer.
But since I don't know how long it will take to have something that works, I thought it might make sense for someone who's looking for an alternative to his floppy drives.
And, of course, to complete the docs :-)

I also think it should be pretty straightforward to replace the floppy drives by anything that can talk SCSI (ZIP, HDD, whatever) - as long as the PROGRAM device has SCSI ID 1 and the REEL device has SCSI ID 2.
Again, I can only talk about the 3,5" drives - but 5,25" drives are much the same, just a different connector and different size of the floppies. Don't know about the 8" drives though. I once had one but sold it - guess it was SCSI or maybe SASI.

Due to Marc's problems with his drives, I opened up my drive unit just to see what's actually in there.
I also took some pics for documentation and was about to post a little more info on that maybe in the doku thread.

But if that's not needed (or wanted) I will refrain from that.

Cheers,
Matt

Artur D'Assumpção

• Sintra, Portugal
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
Hi Matt,

Please don't get me wrong, I didn't want to be misunderstood. Since you're a new member I just wanted to update you of what we are planing and doing regarding the SSL Computer. The last thing I wanted was to imply or dissuade you from contributing useful information and the results of your efforts regarding any topic whatsoever.   

Of course all contributions no matter what are very important and very welcome. We are a community that incentive user participation and contribution, which without it the community wouldn't be possible.

Regarding your floppy efforts, please post all your findings, this is important to help everyone understand how it works, how can they troubleshoot it and what are the alternatives out there.

Welcome to the forum! ;)

Cheers,

Artur