Author Topic: How Hard are You Guys Hitting The Mix Buss?  (Read 19886 times)

Showcase

• Dreamix
Re: How Hard are You Guys Hitting The Mix Buss?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:07 PM »
You cant drive the Quad bus mix amps with the master fader

perfectsnd

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
I love to see the flowchart on what affects what and also see some video examples on what they are doing.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
Well in the manual you can find this :

How hard you drive the mixbus depends of how you push the console channels into it, not the master fader

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:12:28 PM by Showcase »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
And with the faders high pushing the mix bus, this heat is passed on to the Pre VCA insert send (or the onboard compressor) hence why I use a -10dB pad at this point :-))))

It wouldn't be so bad if the quad comp had a side chain filter
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:47:27 PM by sintech »

perfectsnd

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 07:54:38 PM »
If you look at the is CLA video you can his masters aren't slamming.  Is he pulling down the level somewhere else and then bringing back to the master at a lower level?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0argtn0HNE0

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
The meters are post master fader, showing the level to 2 track... his MF is dipped, and it's really impossible to know how hard he's hitting the actual mix bus without viewing the Red 3 or Shadow Hills in VU (on input)

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »
And with the faders high pushing the mix bus, this heat is passed on to the Pre VCA insert send (or the onboard compressor) hence why I use a -10dB pad at this point :-))))

Yes, but why do you prefer attenuators instead of master fader?

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »

If you think of the flow my current chain:

Large and small faders---> LF RF Mix Bus----->Pre VCA Insert Send--->-10db pad----Red 3 compressor-- >Pre VCA Insert Return---> Master Fader/comp---> post VCA insert send---> Elysia Xfilter/GML-->post VCA Insert Return--> 025 card output-->feeding in parallel: Cranesong Avocet Monitor/Protools return/SSL L/R meters.

If I ride the faders High with no pad, the Red 3 compresses too much with the lowest threshold. With the pad, in I can add just a little threshold to tap the compressor 1/2dB max.

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »

If you think of the flow my current chain:

Large and small faders---> LF RF Mix Bus----->Pre VCA Insert Send--->-10db pad----Red 3 compressor-- >Pre VCA Insert Return---> Master Fader/comp---> post VCA insert send---> Elysia Xfilter/GML-->post VCA Insert Return--> 025 card output-->feeding in parallel: Cranesong Avocet Monitor/Protools return/SSL L/R meters.

If I ride the faders High with no pad, the Red 3 compresses too much with the lowest threshold. With the pad, in I can add just a little threshold to tap the compressor 1/2dB max.

So your choice of putting the red3 PRE VCA is because you want to have the option to lower the gain  if you want to use the quad comp?

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
If I wasn't using the Red 3, I'd just insert the -10dB pad on the Pre VCA insert, and this helps get minimal compression on the quad comp.

Otherwise, you can't rage the mix bus and have useable compression.

StarF666

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
May I ask, what do you use to get the 10db pad?

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »
May I ask, what do you use to get the 10db pad?

Inline XLR pads from eBay, then use a male/female XLR to Bantam leads to interface. If your doing something acoustic.. you just don't use them :-))

Showcase

• Dreamix
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 07:23:31 PM »
If I wasn't using the Red 3, I'd just insert the -10dB pad on the Pre VCA insert, and this helps get minimal compression on the quad comp.

Otherwise, you can't rage the mix bus and have useable compression.

Yes, I thought so, if you would like to use the quad comp and still slamming the mixbus, ye then something must be used PRE VCA to lower the gain

PelleG

• Stockholm, Sweden
    • Automan
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
This is all good. Different scenario.

Now, the difference between padding after stereo out (last possible point in chain) and the VCA master fader is still a bit vague to me.
So, if I understand it right from an early post. The quad comp sound different when VCA has an offset from the fader?

oyanliz

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
Hi all,

I know this is an old post but I have been trying different configurations in my last mix I have done and I would like to do some comments about it.

I understund that the master fader VCA controles the input signal to the quad buss compressor (please, correct me if it is not), so if you asre mixing hot, master VCA is on top and on the quad buss compressor, the signal is compressed just a bit, the signal is too hot for AD convertion to de DAW (even without using the make up pot)

In my last mix, I have connected -15dB attenuators (the only ones I have) in the RL/RF outputs and go to my avid omni digital preamps (these preamps are very clear), and adjust the gain until I get -3db (digital) peaks and -13db (digital) rms. I get very good results.

I think would be better to use regulable attenuators (something with a fade) and control the input signal to the AD converter (instead of preamps). Does someone know about a clear device wich can do this job without compromise the audio signal?

Thanks to all in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan