Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
4K,6K,8K Series / 9000K Calibration
« Last post by Chris Simon on July 22, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »
Hello,

I'm currently servicing a 9K strip cut down and Rack-mounted by Rhoades  Audio Designs(RIP). After recapping the strip, I'd like to calibrate it; does any 9K calibration procedure exist, as it does for a 4K. Thanks.
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: 4032E Build: Lacing twine verses cable ties
« Last post by jimlfixit on July 19, 2021, 02:35:08 AM »
Yes Anthony (did you receive my DL31, 32,33 and Mrac layouts by the way, sent to you via email?).

Referring to your post about using lacing rather than cable ties.

Pulling cable tied looms through the console is not a good idea as they do snag as you stated. SSL always used the black flat waxed bigger twine for this and had large 3-4 metre wooden looming jigs with various pins in the right places for the individual patch points to make the looms for the patchbays to various channel bays (unfortunately no pictures seem to exist).
At their peek about December 1984 I think (I counted the consoles going out then) they were making 13 consoles a Month which means each one had about six long looms from the patch to the channels, yet alone the two 104 way MRAC connectors to the patch, DL's or other points.
Making 13 consoles a month, this meant over 78 big looms constructed on a looming board so, a way to do fast looming with lacing twine proved very useful.
Yes Walrus (Kevin)
If you use cable ties (black is best as SSL used!), use a pair of FULLY close cut cutters to cut them otherwise you could suffer from bloody hands!
I also agree with using cable sheathing for the patchbay to DL looms and have done a few of these from new in the past. SSL used Megamide which is a French made closer weave sheathing version and has a higher melting temperature than the more commonly used cheaper Pliosil type but is harder to find (I am still looking but you may need to order it in 50 or 100 metre lengths). I am gradually using up my stocks of this here but will get some more in at some point.
The picture shows an example of me using Megamide sheathing on a 2 x 24 way GPO patch. Notice the velcro ties to hold the service loop in place which can easily be undone.
SSL type lacing twine on the patch plus some cable ties and then, after going into two looms (one top and one bottom so the bulk of cable coming out doesn't exceed 1u ... 1.75"), the sheathing is used.
The cable is 24 pair Van Damme (x 2) but with the blue insulation cut off to lessen the weight (5kgs for 7 patchbays with 14 x 24 pair cables!) and also to make it more flexible to remove and service or change later on.
Wiring / Re: Types of lacing cord and twine. Picture.
« Last post by jimlfixit on July 19, 2021, 01:14:39 AM »
Following on from my post about lacing twine and cord here is a picture to go with the descriptions.

1   SSL large waxed twine (patchbays and console interior looms): Hellermann MW/090 2.3 mm width, black.
2   SSL smaller waxed twine (mostly 5K Pot looms): Hellermann MW/062 1.5mm width, black.
3   Neve and prototype wiring lacing cord about 1.1mm in diameter with nylon inner core: Hellermann PNF 1012, black.
4   Smaller prototype lacing cord (about 0.9mm from memory): RS used to do this but check out multi comp versions from Farnell.
The second picture is an example of me using the item 3 (Neve type 1.1mm cord) for an Edac panel (not finished) for Toerag studios (one of 4 panels wired to 7 x GPO 1/4" patchbays). Notice the individual knots for the looms with cable ties used to secure them to the panel tiebar, which I made up.
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: 4032E Build
« Last post by walrus on July 14, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
Yes, you definitely need a very good pair of Flush Cutters to snip the cable tie ends off smooth.
The other way to avoid snagging is to put Pliosil sleeving over the cable for a meter or so, then you don't need ties or lacing.
Then it is (relatively) easy to pull out just one row of patch from the middle of the bay.
« Last post by horizonsound on July 14, 2021, 10:11:53 AM »
« Last post by matt on July 14, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
Hi Anthony,

thx for your opinion.
I came across lacing when I first touched some equipment from the 60s or 70s.
First thing I thought was : "hey that's the way they've done it back then".

But I see your points and would agree, especially regarding the cable tie locks that scratched my skin a lot and it doesn't look good if there's blood spread over the cables and connectors  ;D 8)

What did you actually use for lacing ?

Cheers,
Matt
« Last post by horizonsound on July 14, 2021, 09:06:17 AM »
Hi Matt,
It's a good point.
This is the first time I have done lacing, and I'll say that I immediately prefer it over cables ties.
The finish is much neater, and it takes less time to do. Cost wise, seems about the same.
Plus, you don't have the annoying cable tie locks snagging on anything when you draw the loom through the frame.

Jim would be the best person to give an opinion here, but in summary, it is now my preferred way to manage cables.

Anthony.
« Last post by matt on July 14, 2021, 07:22:00 AM »
is there an advantage of lacing over just using cable ties ?
« Last post by horizonsound on July 13, 2021, 09:49:10 AM »
Lacing completed. Did not take long and well worth the effort!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10