Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: 651 Extender issues
« Last post by radardoug2 on February 27, 2024, 08:53:26 PM »
So card the right way round when plugged into the extender? The smoke indicates a short. So a fault on the extender card or a short when all plugged together.
4K,6K,8K Series / 651 Extender issues
« Last post by mike_signo on February 25, 2024, 01:35:52 AM »
Hello,
Today I was doing some work on the centre section of a 6000 troubleshooting a fault with the monitoring system.
Despite making sure that it was the correct extender card facing the correct way (I checked with a multimeter pin by pin) I encountered a lot of issues when using the extender card (Card 82154 / 82E24).
Everytime I used the extender it was magic smoke from the protection resistors but when I plugged it directly into the console I had 0 problems.

Has anyone encountered this issue?
What did I do wrong?
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Fadermate system
« Last post by MartyAckerman on February 24, 2024, 08:13:43 PM »
Sure, here's a little album of photos.  Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to see.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/igJFrpP6TAoTi4aa8

The wiring to and from the fader is via a 10 pin ribbon cable.  The fader gets +5 via the SSL s12e connector, which you remove from the SSL fader board and attach to the Fadermate VCA conversion board during install.  So the +5v still shows up on the fader itself just fine.  It's back at the "FCU" board which interfaces with the main control unit that I find the -5v.

They do provide a mac calibration app, but depending on which OS version you have (13.6.1 here) there are security warnings and in my case, the app crashed on loading every time.  Rather than deal with that, they said just use a PC.
« Last post by horizonsound on February 24, 2024, 04:21:23 AM »
Thanks for that very detailed run down on the Fadermate system. It would be great if you can share some photos, or email me some. I'm quite interested.

You are correct that at the top of the SSL fader, it should be 0V, and +5V and the bottom. By any chance did you or they wire the 5V supply incorrectly?
Typically the 5V supply is generated off the 82E13 board, so would assume it is an error when the new motorised fader board is wired back to the SSL fader bus card?
My understanding is that they use the audio 10K track to wire back in to the SSL, and the motor postion track to feed back to the fadermate system.

Not having support for mac is surprising!

Anthony.
« Last post by MartyAckerman on February 23, 2024, 10:44:15 PM »
I'm installing a Fadermate system now and having a rough time. The install seemed to go fairly smoothly - the system appears simple overall.  There is not much room at all between the bottom covers and the channel pcb's, so the Fadermate boards are sort of floating in a tight space, which I don't love.

I was unable to calibrate the system on my mac, but it worked well enough on PC. When I asked the Fadermate team, they said to just use a PC. Not the most thorough support for mac, but I have a laptop available.

SSL boards require an additional card from Fadermate that they include for each bank of 8 faders.  It's purpose is to smooth out the audio taper of the motorized Alps Audio taper to better match the SSL VCA fader behavior. To power it I tapped into the + and - 18v rails from underneath a bucket of channels. They send a separate 3 page PDF describing this procedure.

The main issue I'm having is that the Fadermate system seems to be attenuating the signal by about 65db. The signal passes, just drastically low. Automation via HUI works great. To Fadermate's credit, they have been very responsive, patient, and helpful. Unfortunately they also appear to be stumped. They do tell me that they've installed in SSL's before without issue and I do believe them. 

My issue stems from the VCA conversion board. It puts -5vdc on the top of the fader, which should be at 0v. The fader passes audio fine without the VCA board, but only the top 25% of the fader is useable as the rest is silent. I'm hoping I just did something wrong in the install, but so far no culprit has been found.
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Adding Ultimation faders from different desks
« Last post by Pinebox on February 22, 2024, 10:15:54 PM »
As long as all the hybrids on the fader cards are the same, of which there are three kinds, they will work. They dont play nice with each other.
4K,6K,8K Series / Re: Adding Ultimation faders from different desks
« Last post by brewery on February 22, 2024, 08:31:19 AM »
well not really..the most recent ultimation faders use another touch sense pcb, and you shouldn't mix those up with older faders, it will cause issues.
you can easily spot them by the little pot for the variable cap, and the pcb is slightly larger. everything else is interchangeable.

4K,6K,8K Series / DL and Edac pinout differences for SSL
« Last post by jimlfixit on February 21, 2024, 01:09:32 PM »
No, SSL uses 96 way DL connectors with 24-32 balanced circuits and Neve used 56 way Edacs with 12 circuits. Totally different connectors with different sizes, crimps and cable capacity. If the old Neve cables you have are 12 pair, two can be used for most of the SSL DL's which have 24 circuits but you need to re-crimp them with DL pins and the circuit arrangement within a DL is different from the Neve Edac version.
I notice that you have a 56 channel SSL so, some of the DL's will be 24 circuits and others will be 32 circuits which creates a bit of a problem by splitting the cable across two DL connectors.
Where are you based? If in the UK or Europe, I could possibly help but if far away, probably not.
I sell DL connectors if you want any.
Hope this helps from Jim Lassen, based in the UK
PS: This post really needs to be in the wiring menu which I am the moderator for, just saying.
4K,6K,8K Series / SSL G+ 8K SL611 S Issues
« Last post by waitesound on February 19, 2024, 06:03:41 PM »
Hi All,

I'm having issues with all of my stereo channels. All in the same bucket.  The TR isn't functioning on any of the channels and also the imaging isn't working either. (width, extra wide, filter, pan). The CUT switches also stay on once pressed and won't disengage.

I'm running the THD TAI interface which is working fine on all other channels apart from the stereos.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
« Last post by oyanliz on February 18, 2024, 06:34:48 PM »
Thanks for you opinion Anthony!

Best regards!!

Oihan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10