Author Topic: SOLO/CUT isolate not working well  (Read 3000 times)

oyanliz

SOLO/CUT isolate not working well
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
Hi all,

I have an issue in my console with the last 2 buckets. When pushing SOLO or CUT in any last 16 channels, the isolate option only works for the last 16 channels. The rest of channels (1 to 32) are not afected, they work like separately. This happens only with VCA SOLO/CUT switches, when pushing Solo/Cut of the small fader, all the console works fine.

The console has "Solo isolate 25-32" and "Solo isolate 33-40" option, when pushed, isolates each bucket so it is working I think (in this case, only is working between the last two buckets, because the rest of the console does not react as mentioned) the solo isolate option of the master section is working fine.

I have changed the S3E ribbon from the up card of the bucket, but still the issue is there.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan

oyanliz

Re: SOLO/CUT isolate not working well
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 06:30:59 AM »
Any idea regarding to this??

Thanks once more

Oihan

oyanliz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 07:44:07 AM »
Hi,

I never fixed this issue because it is not a big one. But recently the Solo-Cut of all channels started working fine, just sometimes.

I do not know if could have any relation with the issue, but when pushing SOLO in any first 24 channel, sounds a "pop", but pushing SOLO in last 16 channel (25 to 40), the "pop" sound is very low.

Some time ago, I had been checking the ribbon cables... but as I have explained, I could not fix the issue. Could anyone thought any idea of what could be the issue?

Here the link of the video of what happens:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Np-4JIIi3arxvN40myzpfILy8PpGgiif/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan

Franz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
Did you check all the switches on the logic card for all channels? Attached the document with the positions

oyanliz

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:34:03 PM »
Thanks for answering Franz,

I’m not familiarized with the configuration of logic card switches. My console is not connected to the computer, jumpers are installed bellow the console. Should I check all the positions on switches? Is there any specific configuration I should follow?

I will check the channels one by one and compare the configurations between them. I’ll try to understand how does it work.

I’ll write back soon.

Thanks one more time.

Regards.

Oihan

Franz

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 12:32:44 AM »
The normal configuration is all in "off" position except switch 5. You can read all the features from the document I've photographed for you.

Let me know.

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
Horizonsound console refurb
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 04:03:05 AM »
Hi Anthony
I wish I had your console and others in my old workshop in Witney, Oxfordshire, UK, near to where SSL was located to refurbish as I used to have all the bits such as ribbons, audio cable, power stuff, connectors and tools available to do this. I bought a 32 channel 6k Bargraph console for about GB23K in the mid 1990's and stored it there for a few days. I looked at it and thought, wow, I now own an SSL after working there for 7 years but it was bought to break up and sell the bits on.
I got an unsecured bank loan for £23k GB just by showing two bits of paper to the bank manager when the interest rates were very much higher than they are today.
Nevermind and good luck with what you are doing there in Oz, like a few others are doing around the World these days.
I will continue to help with wiring issues when I can.

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 05:14:26 AM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. We might be corresponding in the wrong thread though!
By any chance, do you have the wiring diagrams for the SL651 master DL connectors? That would be DL31, 32, 33.
I want to set these up correctly this time.

Anthony.

oyanliz

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 07:44:49 AM »
Hi all,

I confussed the multiplex card with the logic card in my last post comments. I have been checking the channel strips 25-32 and the logic card switches are correctly configured, I think. (attached a picture)

Should I check all the channels? The first 24 channels work fine all together and the last 16 channels also work fine together. But something is wrong between them... Could be something relationed with SOLO isolate options of the console? I know I have asked this before but...

Thanks to all in advance.

Best regards.

Oihan

jimlfixit

• Global Moderator
    • Maidenhead, Bucks, UK
DL Pinouts
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 12:01:02 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. We might be corresponding in the wrong thread though!
By any chance, do you have the wiring diagrams for the SL651 master DL connectors? That would be DL31, 32, 33.
I want to set these up correctly this time.

Anthony.

Hi Anthony. I do have pinouts for DL's 31,32 and 33 but they changed somewhat over the years. I will do a post on these elsewhere on the Forum shortly but meanwhile, send me an email (found on my Facebook wiring page) and I will send you some DL wiring layouts for these. Jim L

horizonsound

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Horizon Sound
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 11:29:34 AM »
Hi Oihan

I would be looking at your solo isolate 25-32 33-40 buttons in the master section first.
Start by checking the wiring to the switches, which I have found can fail due to age.
Check with a multimeter to see if the solo buss voltage change is present with these switches engaged / disengaged.
Be very careful around the old wiring.

Anthony.,
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:32:10 AM by horizonsound »