Author Topic: Stranger Things ;)  (Read 2871 times)

viguier

Stranger Things ;)
« on: March 10, 2021, 06:36:07 PM »
Hello, it's my very first thread  :-[

I bought 3 years ago a beautiful japanese mid-98 SSL 4000 G+, 48 chassis with 38 G channels / Black EQ :) WIth one power supply for the whole desk, no computer -yet-  ;)

Recently I had a strange thing on two channels ( channels #35 and #36, that I use to return a 33609 as Drums parallel buss ) :

When in "RECORD" mode, all is working great on these two channels ( VU meters of these channels are moving, EQ or DYN with the "MON" or "IN" are working as they have to work, the sound is reaching the quad buss, the VU from the Center section are moving and the sound is here ).

But when in "MIX" mode, on these two channels :
- The VU Meters of these two channels are working
- The DYN section seems to compress only when the "MON" button is pressed, same thing with the EQ section....
- No sound in the Quad buss, VU meter and phase meter of the Center section are not moving at all...
- I try to move the big fader and the small fader of these 2 channels, no sound ( even if the "PEAK" led lights up in red when I push the little fader -or when I push too much the EQ with "MON" button pressed ).
- I try to put every "daughter cards" ( EQ, DYN, VCA, LINE/AMP, GROUP and LOGIC ) from these two channels #35 and #36 into another channel ( channel #25 ) and all these "daughter" cards are working great when into the strip #25...
- I put the strips #35 and #36 into the #25 and #26 slots of the chassis and they are not working there too...

It seems that these two channels #35 and #36 have their Line Input which are not drived to the Quad buss... But the fault seems NOT to be on the "daughter" cards :(

If somebody has an idea...
And sorry for my poor english, I'm French  ;D ;D ;D

Paul

amillar

• United Kingdom
Re: Stranger Things ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 07:40:21 PM »
Hi,
Welcome  :)
Do you get a signal at the insert point in Mix mode?
Just to narrow down where the signals getting lost!
Thanks,
Andy
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92

viguier

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 06:53:01 AM »
Hello Andy,
I'll try this afternoon to send the signal to one outboard piece...

Jsut for info, as I use these two channels #35 and #36 as "returns", I put the signal coming out from my 33609 to the "insert return" of these two channels and it works if I use the small channel ( Don't remember if it works too on the big fader, I'll try this afternoon too... ) :)

BTW THANKS A LOT !!!!

Little question : I ask myself about the type of "big" faders on this desk : linear or loga ?

Paul

amillar

• United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »
Hi,

Good question! If I remember correctly they were not quite either, they were specially made by P&G for SSL (as were the small faders), really the only custom designed electronic parts used in the 4k. (Both to make them cheaper to build and easier to maintain Colin always tried to use standard parts, and very encouraged all the rest of us to do so as well. But he knew the importance of a good fader feel.)

The large fader itself is nearly linear, but the VCA turns that nearly linear voltage into a nearly log response on the gain.

A log fader would work for the small fader, and a linear would work for the large fader, but the slight tweak to the law gives the nice feel.

Thanks,

Andy
co-designer and project manager G series analogue 1987
channel strip designer J series 1992-93
design "caretaker" 4000/6000 1985-93
analogue team leader ARC/Bertha 1988-92

radardoug2

• New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 06:28:16 AM »
From memory, if you use the small fader and want it to go to the quad bus, you have to select the quad bus on the buttons at the top of the module.

viguier

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 07:03:08 AM »
Hello,

So, the insert sends in these #35 and #36 are not working in "MIX" mode  :(

- I try the "group" sends ( which are working via the Matrix ( the 32 groups ) and the small fader... ).
- I try to use the "Multitracks Return" from the patch and send them via the patch to different others holes in the same patchbay :
       * In the "Channel Line Input", no signal, same as above
       * In the "Channel Insert Return", the signal is here, volume is driven with the big fader, I can use the EQ section if I push on its "PRE" button.
          Little question : when I use in this configuration ( signal used via this "Insert Return" ), if I "SOLO" these another channel, all other channels are muted ( even the #35 and #36 ), BUT the sound from these "Return Insert" from these #35 or #36 are still in the Quad Buss ???
       * In the "Tape Input", nothing ( I don't remember how use these "Tape Input" in "MIX" mode... ).

Many thanks for your help, again  ;) ;) ;)

Paul

viguier

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »
From memory, if you use the small fader and want it to go to the quad bus, you have to select the quad bus on the buttons at the top of the module.

Hello :)
Thanks, I knew that, but thanks to remind me that option :) :) :)

Paul

viguier

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 07:06:55 AM »
Hi,

Good question! If I remember correctly they were not quite either, they were specially made by P&G for SSL (as were the small faders), really the only custom designed electronic parts used in the 4k. (Both to make them cheaper to build and easier to maintain Colin always tried to use standard parts, and very encouraged all the rest of us to do so as well. But he knew the importance of a good fader feel.)

The large fader itself is nearly linear, but the VCA turns that nearly linear voltage into a nearly log response on the gain.

A log fader would work for the small fader, and a linear would work for the large fader, but the slight tweak to the law gives the nice feel.

Thanks,

Andy

THANKS A LOT !!!!!!!

Paul  ;D ;D ;D ;D

pascal.verdet

• Nantes - FR
    • Workshop
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
Strange ...
Bon courage.
Pascal

viguier

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
Strange ...
Bon courage.
Pascal

Thanks, if I can't find, you'll receive these modules some day ;)

Paul

Chris Simon

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 03:27:00 PM »
The answer to your little question is that the Channel Cut switch will cut the signal before the Insert Send, therefore sending signal into the Insert Return won't get cut. In Mix mode, does the To Routing LED at the bottom of the small fader light up? I suspect those two channels aren't switching between Mix and Record mode properly.

viguier

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 07:36:09 AM »
The answer to your little question is that the Channel Cut switch will cut the signal before the Insert Send, therefore sending signal into the Insert Return won't get cut. In Mix mode, does the To Routing LED at the bottom of the small fader light up? I suspect those two channels aren't switching between Mix and Record mode properly.

Hello Chris :)

Sadly, the "To Routing LED" at the bottom of the small fader are lighting up ( like all other channels ) :(
I really don't understand what is the problem, something on the "mother" board of these two channels I presume but can't figure the exact point :(

Thanks for your answer about the position of the channel cut switch :) :) :)

Paul

pascal.verdet

• Nantes - FR
    • Workshop
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »
Hello Paul,
Please refer to the block Diagram. Have you signal on direct Out ?
Cheers,
Pascal
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:21:25 AM by pascal.verdet »

viguier

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 06:43:46 AM »
Hello Paul,
Please refer to the block Diagram. Have you signal on direct Out ?
Cheers,
Pascal

Hello Pascal,

Yes, I have direct out signal when in "MIX" mode and pushing the "Direct" button upon the small fader on these #35 and #36 channels ( just like all other channels  ;D )...

BTW THANKS for your help :)

Paul

pascal.verdet

• Nantes - FR
    • Workshop
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 07:33:15 AM »
 ;D :)
Sound like that the output from group (82E294) pin 50 working.
Normally, the small fader output buffer must be OK pin 41... Go to Channel PCB (82E291) pin 41 (RC14) fader select
After you have IC10, output pin 39 to routing pot, and after  IC11 (Odd), and IC12 (Even) buffers to routing...
Please let me know

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:46:05 AM by pascal.verdet »