Author Topic: Floppy drives might be fine!  (Read 4244 times)

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
Floppy drives might be fine!
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:04:26 AM »
FYI....

I decided to have a 'snoot' around the computer and decided to give a friendly jiggle to the big connector on the main computer motherboard from the Floppy DC power loom... at first the floppy drive failed completely (The computer wouldn't boot). I then gave it a bit more 'love'.... The floppy drives have not failed since.

If you're suffering with similar problems to mine I suggest you try the same. Follow the sheathed loom from the DC out of the Floppy drive to the main computer motherboard and give it a jiggle.

My tech is in next week and we'll remove the cable completely and inspect it.

Stef.

Matt Sartori

• Administrator
    • London
    • Solid State Logic Fanatics Database
Re: Floppy drives might be fine!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »
FYI....

I decided to have a 'snoot' around the computer and decided to give a friendly jiggle to the big connector on the main computer motherboard from the Floppy DC power loom... at first the floppy drive failed completely (The computer wouldn't boot). I then gave it a bit more 'love'.... The floppy drives have not failed since.

If you're suffering with similar problems to mine I suggest you try the same. Follow the sheathed loom from the DC out of the Floppy drive to the main computer motherboard and give it a jiggle.

My tech is in next week and we'll remove the cable completely and inspect it.

Stef.

Very good, well done.
I think the first thing to look for it's usually dodgy connections or dirty contacts. this is good news !
worth taking the connectors apart and clean them (and THEN spray!) and also redo the various solder joints.
at the end of the day the beast it's nearly 25 years old...

Mattia.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
Not a single problem today either.

Running occasional disc tests, also a copy. Not problems.

No computer freezes either.

Total Recall computer cards are going to the UK for George Gilbert to check/repair too. George has been incredible.

A huge shout out to the Ex-SSL guys for their help... Jim Lassen, George Gilbert, Paul Frindle and Keith Skerrett. All sweethearts.

Stef.

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:18:48 AM »
Can happily report that after 3 days, floppies are still behaving perfect.

Doing a happy dance.  ;D ;D ;D