Author Topic: I think I fried something here...  (Read 3015 times)

Kats

I think I fried something here...
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »
I had noticed a bad polarity switch on ch. 7 and in the process of removing it I hadn't realized that it was attached to 3 other switches and decided not to bother with it because I didn't have enough time. So I soldered it back on and put the channel back. Unfortunately I must have buggered the switch because now it only works when pressed in. I can deal with that, but somehow after putting it back in the console, it seems to have caused a loss of power to ch 6 and 4. No clue how that could have happened but I don't even know where to begin to sus this out... worst possible timing!

The only thing I know so far is that the problem follows the channel strip.

If this is any indication, while all my channels read "tape" in the meters, channel 4 is blank and channel 6 reads "record". If anyone has any ideas or can point me in a direction to start checking I'd really appreciate it!

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
Re: I think I fried something here...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 01:06:34 AM »
Hi, I'm not totally sure which switch you're referring, the record above the ready's?

Regarding loss of power to channels, I'd check the 2Amp Pico Fuses and the Zener Diode on the 611 motherboard's Bipolar rails, and Logic 11v. This is the first line of protection, and the first check for a channel that will no longer power.

Kats

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 02:54:41 AM »
Yep some blown pico fuses...

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
Check for any short circuits on the module side of the blown Picos. Last time I was in this situation it was possible to Ohm the damage, I then pulled each card until the multimeter stopped beeping, It was the EQ.

With the same method buzzed the 292 card power rails whilst pulling IC's till it cleared and the shorted 5534 out of circuit. So a new fuse, diode, and op-amp, the module was running fine.

Could it be.. the switch in question has caused a short on the bipolar rails, and modules in the same bucket are starting to protect themselves, before any real damage could be done?

Kats

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »

Could it be.. the switch in question has caused a short on the bipolar rails, and modules in the same bucket are starting to protect themselves, before any real damage could be done?

Yeah, that and the fact that I hot swapped the channel back in might have sent a surge that the other 2 channels didn't like... ( I know, it was a long day). So I'm thinking (hoping) the damage might not be on the module side of the 611.

Thanks for the help BTW!

Edit: Yes. Just the fuses needed to be replaced.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:43:09 PM by Kats »

sintech

• Global Moderator
    • Bristol, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
Awesome :-)

xmax

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »
Hot swapping can blow fuses on adjacent channels, best to power down the bucket.