Author Topic: SSL PSU Thermal Trip  (Read 3321 times)

audioparlour

SSL PSU Thermal Trip
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
Hey All,

Our PSU for our 6000 E went down last night, the AC shut off and it got too hot  :'( The thermal trip light is on and I can see two of the thermal breakers have what seems to be a push button that is not depressed.  But I cannot seem to reset them. The button seems to be stuck? Or maybe they just blow and you have to replace them?  Before I send it out, does anyone have any advice? Thank!

Kevin
Audio Parlour Brooklyn

kilmister

• Global Moderator
    • Hellsinki, Finland
    • 5 by 5 Audio
Re: SSL PSU Thermal Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
Perhaps one of thermal switches has blown?

-Paavo
-- Too much amp power is just right --

-- 5 by 5 Audio
-- 5 by 5 @ Facebook

audioparlour

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »
Yup that was it. Got some new thermal switches and she's working great. Thanks!

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:52:40 PM »
be careful with that heat , your lucky it was just the thermals , it sometimes takes out the rectifiers and a transistor or 2
Rae Nimeh

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »
What kind of room temperature are we talking about? When is it getting dangerous for our PSU's?
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog
http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com

unitedreco

• chicago,Il
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »
Marc

its more than just heat , its also humidity...try and maintain no more than 75 degress with really good circulation to the supplys and 35-50% humidity no more, humidity also causes dust to accumulate which will then cover components and insulate any heat they are throwing off thus causing them to fail so always keep supplies clean. Im stable at 40% and 73 degrees. Let your supply cook all day long at 80-85 degrees no circulation and best believe you are cooking supply components, it will be just a matter of time for the supply to fail. Its not uncommon to see extra circulator fans in machine rooms, e psu are more prone to failure than the g psu but the g psu has its issues as well. Thermal trips are usually a tell tale sign that something is going to fail eventually, i suggest one checks the transistors for proper spec after a thermal issue the next part and it usually happens is the crydom rectifier going out to lunch and taking a transistor or 2 with it. Having properly setup supplies ive learned is a must especially when you are running 2 supplies and changeover, you must balance the load to the console from the supplies so that 1 supply isnt doing all the work for the rail. Even if you only use 1 supply make sure its voltages are correct, never assume that just because the supply and console are on that everything is a ok.  Hope this helps a little
Rae Nimeh

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
Helps a lot. Sounds like I need to be a bit more careful. I'm in Germany so 75 will be fine most of the year but in July/August I'm definitely around 80/85. I'll add extra circulator fans and make sure the machine room is dry and clean.
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog

StefanNowak

• Sydney, Australia.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
I have a big arse industrial fan in my machine room to keep the air moving around.

Stef.

marcmozart

• Frankfurt/Germany
    • Mozart & Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:54 PM »
Can anyone post a step-by-step guidance on how to fine-adjust the voltages of the PSU? Perhaps with pics...
1992 SSL 4048 G-Series
Mix Engineer Blog